Latvian firewood

Been burning Latvian kiln dried logs from Home Bargains, they appear to be contaminated by something radioactive, The ash is reading a CPM of 56-70 the ash from my uk logs only reads about 15 -20 CPM, I’ve read that the logs give out a much higher reading once burned than they do whole, It’s a bit worrying to say the least 

Edited by Drex2001
Spelling
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Drex2001 said:

Been burning Latvian kiln dried logs from Home Bargains, they appear to be contaminated by something radioactive, The ash is reading a CPM of 56-70 the ash from my uk logs only reads about 15 -20 CPM, I’ve read that the logs give out a much higher reading once burned than they do whole, It’s a bit worrying to say the least 

Can you not harvest the radio activity and direct it to give you some more energy in these trying times ? 😄

9 minutes ago, Drex2001 said:

Do you test the radioactivity of everything you buy?

• Haha 1

Why not support your local log merchant and get better value ? I would sooner have air dried anyway . After all 20% moisture is 20% moisture no matter how its achieved and air dried has a bit more about it if you get my meaning .

• Like 7

Radioactivity isn't altered by burning, what it does do is make it airborne, which is more dangerous.

But agree, buy local.

Everything is radioactive, even lead was highly radioactive a billions ago. You get quite a high dose if you fly anywhere too.

Over 2000 nuclear bombs have been detonated worldwide since 1945, the last one around 2008 I think, maybe earlier.. leaded petrol caused huge pollution as have cfcs, various pesticides and herbicides, flouride and a massive array of other, manmade chemicals anyway my point is we're all ****************ed anyway so I wouldn't be too concerned. 

That aside, your mental for buying ash from another country when so much is being chopped down in your own. That's probably the bigger issue.

I tested them as I realised Latvia is only about 200 miles away from Chernobyl when i was reading an article about Ukraine, I just googled whether or not Latvian wood was safe and read an article that said any radioactive elements will be released when burned, It’s quite worrying as no way of knowing what they contain and the ash/dust can easily be breathed in. As someone commented it seems crazy that logs are transported this kind of distance anyway

50 minutes ago, Drex2001 said:

I tested them as I realised Latvia is only about 200 miles away from Chernobyl when i was reading an article about Ukraine, I just googled whether or not Latvian wood was safe and read an article that said any radioactive elements will be released when burned, It’s quite worrying as no way of knowing what they contain and the ash/dust can easily be breathed in. As someone commented it seems crazy that logs are transported this kind of distance anyway

It is crazy and there are three reasons for it.

1) Wages in Latvia are undoubtedly much lower than the uk.

2) Environmental checks are likely to be poor, possibly even non-existent.

3) Transport is relatively cheap.

Hence it makes financial sense for companies to import Latvian firewood.  It makes no other sense though.

• Like 5