How did you get into arb?

KateH

How did you get into arb?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. How did you first hear about a role in arboriculture?

• A family member is in arboriculture
    • Through a careers advice service
    • Through a friend
    • Through meeting someone I didn't already know who is in arboriculture
    • From the internet
    • Other (please comment below if you have time)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 23/10/22 at 22:59

On 14/10/2022 at 20:43, PeteB said:

Wanted a holiday job before Poly.  Asked Uncle for a labouring job and stayed. Went from self employed to being employed to the employer. Had 6 teams out but bad luck on my part and bad management on the side of the Utility company and it crashed after 18 years! Mother's side of the family had been contracting since before the First World War. Went to work for GreenMech so have technically been in the game (loosely) since 1982!

Thank you for sharing Pete, that must have been a lot to go through. You certainly have a long family history in the business! Kate

On 14/10/2022 at 21:00, Pete Mctree said:

Dropped out of uni without a clue what to do. Saw a trainee climber job advertised at the dole office offering the princely some of £10 on top my giro to learn. I was not scared of hard work and it seemed like a good idea getting paid to climb trees, so without an idea what it was about, I applied.

That was about 27 years ago…….

Thanks Pete, that is the only reply so far that has been connected to any kind of employment/career advice. It all makes interesting reading. Hope you keep enjoying it 👍😊 Kate

7 hours ago, KateH said:

Thanks Pete, that is the only reply so far that has been connected to any kind of employment/career advice. It all makes interesting reading. Hope you keep enjoying it 👍😊 Kate

I'm pretty sure this says something about tree work, I'm just not totally sure what.

• Like 2

Turned 30 and realised I had utterly failed to make any sort of career plan.

I had a guy I worked for who was an idiot who did the 10 week course at Merrist Wood, so I thought if he can do it I can (1995)

Saved my money (around a grand iirc) and cycled there from my parents house every day 36 miles there and back.

Scraped through, got a job, got the sack, got another job, worked there for a year till I had enough experience to start on my own. Then the real journey began.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

After 20yrs as a nurse I was in a dead end job, which I wasn't enjoying. Resigned and became a stay at home dad for a couple of years. I had done rock climbing/mountaineering since my teens and had a aldi chainsaw to do logs for our stove. Wondered if I could therefore do tree work, spent a lot of time reading up on courses what was involved and did my basic felling, then climbing. Got taken on as a subbie to local firm, after a year we parted company, only option was to set up for myself. Its now nearly 10yrs since I started all this. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Turned 30 and realised I had utterly failed to make any sort of career plan.

I had a guy I worked for who was an idiot who did the 10 week course at Merrist Wood, so I thought if he can do it I can (1995)

Saved my money (around a grand iirc) and cycled there from my parents house every day 36 miles there and back.

Scraped through, got a job, got the sack, got another job, worked there for a year till I had enough experience to start on my own. Then the real journey began.

Thanks Mick, good to know your story. Have a good week. Kate 

48 minutes ago, jfc said:

After 20yrs as a nurse I was in a dead end job, which I wasn't enjoying. Resigned and became a stay at home dad for a couple of years. I had done rock climbing/mountaineering since my teens and had a aldi chainsaw to do logs for our stove. Wondered if I could therefore do tree work, spent a lot of time reading up on courses what was involved and did my basic felling, then climbing. Got taken on as a subbie to local firm, after a year we parted company, only option was to set up for myself. Its now nearly 10yrs since I started all this. 

Thank you for sharing. it’s so interesting all the different ways that people have come across this career. Kate 😊