How did you get into arb?

KateH

How did you get into arb?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. How did you first hear about a role in arboriculture?

• A family member is in arboriculture
    • Through a careers advice service
    • Through a friend
    • Through meeting someone I didn't already know who is in arboriculture
    • From the internet
    • Other (please comment below if you have time)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 23/10/22 at 22:59

Did 5 years in steel related industry before a 32 year forces career. Was looking at forestry before I joined up but it was a closed shop locally. Didn't want to go into the standard management role when I left and was a (rock) climber so Arb appealed though I didn't think I'd got enough left in the tank. Went to the Arb show and got a climb, thought I could do it so got the courses, a position with some very experienced guys for mentoring and lasted just over 4 fantastic years before developing cysts in one wrist. Now qualified as a PTI and moved to inspection and call outs only. Currently working on SRT to see if I can push it out a bit longer, 572's about my limit in a tree though and not for long. Still intend to get a big climb in on my 60th in a few months time, as long as the god's don't save me from myself with a storm (more likely to be a thick ear from she who must be obeyed).

• Like 4

Started working in forestry, the guy I worked for did a bit of arb work on the side, I've carried on doing a bit of arb here and there.  Mostly removals, not so keen on reductions, don't do hedge trimming.  Depending what contracts I've got I do more arb or less, currently not doing much, mostly forestry but it comes and goes.

• Like 3

On 14/10/2022 at 21:14, JAG63 said:

Did 5 years in steel related industry before a 32 year forces career. Was looking at forestry before I joined up but it was a closed shop locally. Didn't want to go into the standard management role when I left and was a (rock) climber so Arb appealed though I didn't think I'd got enough left in the tank. Went to the Arb show and got a climb, thought I could do it so got the courses, a position with some very experienced guys for mentoring and lasted just over 4 fantastic years before developing cysts in one wrist. Now qualified as a PTI and moved to inspection and call outs only. Currently working on SRT to see if I can push it out a bit longer, 572's about my limit in a tree though and not for long. Still intend to get a big climb in on my 60th in a few months time, as long as the god's don't save me from myself with a storm (more likely to be a thick ear from she who must be obeyed).

Amazing! 

I left school at 16 with some GCSES but very little academic interests. Tried college, tried 6th form, didn't enjoy either. So I got a job working in retail, and spent the next 13 years doing various roles in that sector. I was managing a clothing shop in Carlisle earning a good wage (on paper, if you worked out the hourly rate I was on buttons as was doing about 70 hours a week) when I decided I'd had enough of slogging my guts out for someone else. 

So I packed my career in, and moved back in with my parents on their farm in the Lakes. I set up on my own doing drytone walling and fencing. But one day I got asked to help out a mate who ran an arb firm in Keswick. Well, I was hooked! Sacked off the walling and, managed to get a grant to do my cross cutting and maintenance, and small trees ticket plus a chainsaw and PPE. Spent a good few years as a subby groundsman in Keswick, then moved to North Yorkshire and carried on the same with new firms here. I got the opportunity to start my own business in Foresty nearly 4 years ago and haven't looked back since!

I like many on here I'd imagine do this job for the love of it. I didn't get into forestry to be rich! But I'm lucky as I go to work every day with a smile on my face (mostly!) and get paid to do something I enjoy. 

• Like 6

23 hours ago, IronMike said:

I left school at 16 with some GCSES but very little academic interests. Tried college, tried 6th form, didn't enjoy either. So I got a job working in retail, and spent the next 13 years doing various roles in that sector. I was managing a clothing shop in Carlisle earning a good wage (on paper, if you worked out the hourly rate I was on buttons as was doing about 70 hours a week) when I decided I'd had enough of slogging my guts out for someone else. 

So I packed my career in, and moved back in with my parents on their farm in the Lakes. I set up on my own doing drytone walling and fencing. But one day I got asked to help out a mate who ran an arb firm in Keswick. Well, I was hooked! Sacked off the walling and, managed to get a grant to do my cross cutting and maintenance, and small trees ticket plus a chainsaw and PPE. Spent a good few years as a subby groundsman in Keswick, then moved to North Yorkshire and carried on the same with new firms here. I got the opportunity to start my own business in Foresty nearly 4 years ago and haven't looked back since!

I like many on here I'd imagine do this job for the love of it. I didn't get into forestry to be rich! But I'm lucky as I go to work every day with a smile on my face (mostly!) and get paid to do something I enjoy. 

Thanks for sharing Mike. It's so interesting reading all the stories about how people got into arb. It all seems to be through someone already known or happenstance... no votes for careers advice yet and I'll be surprised if there are before the end of the week. Have a good one 😊

On 14/10/2022 at 22:38, Spruce Pirate said:

Started working in forestry, the guy I worked for did a bit of arb work on the side, I've carried on doing a bit of arb here and there.  Mostly removals, not so keen on reductions, don't do hedge trimming.  Depending what contracts I've got I do more arb or less, currently not doing much, mostly forestry but it comes and goes.

Thanks SprucePirate! 👍 Have a good week.

On 14/10/2022 at 21:13, Patrick goulding said:

I was born into it I had a chainsaw in my hand from a young age. You could say I came out with a chainsaw lol 😂 my father is a arborist running a family run business so I have just followed suit went and did my courses and have never looked back ever since don’t no any better. 😂 👍 

Thanks Patrick, we met a couple of family arb set ups at APF, which was nice. Word of the career seems to travel through who you know rather than careers services or advice from schools. It is making interesting reading. Kate😊

• Like 1

On 14/10/2022 at 18:28, treevolution said:

Went to Merrest Wood with the hope of doing Countryside management but ended up on the tree surgery course by mistake and was to shy to say anything. 

Had to be rescued within my 1st week but stuck with the course. 

Did my work placement in Dublin which was great fun but full on days (start at 7 in the yard and then finish at 5 on site before going back to unload) and been doing it now 23 years. 

Will carry on for as long as possible as I still really enjoy it. 

What an amazing story! So glad you still enjoy it 😊👍

On 14/10/2022 at 19:36, Treeman123 said:

Left school at 15 and thought I was having the summer off messing with mates, turns out i was into full time branch dragging on the Monday thanks to my mother. Much appreciated now tho!

Love this! Good old Mum 😊

• Like 1