Dispute with a haulage company

Graham w

Hi all, I would like to know your thoughts on this? Thanks 

I have a machine in Wales needing moved up to Inverness, Scotland so I messaged a lorry to get a quote. The first quote was very good so I approved and sent locations. However the machine needs to be loaded and unloaded as was asked in the first message and the price didn't reflect this. So I called him up and asked if he had included loading/unloading which he had not - I asked him to quote again (also sent a screenshot with the text for loading/unloading). I better add this was on Tuesday lunchtime and first quote was collection for Wednesday. Anyway on Wednesday lunchtime I get a call saying the lorry was on site and he was trying to organise a crane for £650. I replied, it seems too much and you haven't quoted for the full job. I didn't hear back until Thursday morning when I got a text saying they never managed move the machine and they would need compensation for lost time and money. I received an invoice for £420 this morning. Also found out that they didn't want to wait for a crane at 3pm so left and went to another job along the road.

Also on my side of things the machine ideally needs a lowloader and I never told the lorry guy this, I had just assumed a lowloader hiab would be the most cost efficient choice. 

The way I'm viewing this is that without receiving a quote I haven't agreed and haven't permitted his actions as I require a quote to compare against other quotes. we have a quote from the machines previous owner which was for a lowloader and we would discuss collection times, loading requirements etc. 

All sounds very convoluted and an adhoc way of doing buisness (both ways) Nothing in writing I assume? Adide from a few texts either way?

Not being privvy to the exact arrangement it is difficult to advise.

Sound like lack of info and professionalism for this job on both sides.

• Like 3

Whilst I agree both sides are to a degree at fault, a haulage firm is just that.

They generally don't do any loading, unless you can put it on or drive it on for them.

Obviously a picture would help everyone all round, including the haulage firms as we can't really comment without knowing it's size and weight 

In a former job we moved machines all around the country, A35,637,

D8 and box etc , always with a written instruction either by fax or telex ( that shows my age) we loaded and unloaded our trucks, our drivers but only with written instruction, 

56 minutes ago, josharb87 said:

Seems a bit daft that you’d told them, before it was too late, that they’d need to fix loading of the machine yet they send the lorry out anyway without appropriate loading facilities or an agreement with you on cost. 

Their problem imo 

Yes and no - if the move had been booked well in advance and lorry movements planned around it, and then an 11th hour change of plan from the customer (which the haulier appears to have attempted to sort at very short notice) is thrown into the mix then I can see why they would want to charge for their standing time.

I guess it all comes down to the initial quote request details.