David brown 900 tractor with log splitter on the back help!!!

Hi i have a large log splitter that i have been running on a 855 international tractor. And its been working well. 
i have since loat the use of that tractor and i would like to get it working on my david brown 900. the hydraulic pump on the david brown would not be powerfull enough to power the log splitter. 
so im going to get a hydraulic pump to go on the pto, fit a tank for the oil and hopefully that should work well. 
im just after some advise on where i can get a small tank and a pto hydraulic pump. Ive been looking on ebay but im not sure which ones to get. 
if anyone has any pictures of there setups that would be great. 
any help would be much appreciated

thanks

73106E32-33CD-4BD8-82DB-7C0D7A2F0B49.jpeg

1 hour ago, Jwclarktreeservices said:

Hi i have a large log splitter that i have been running on a 855 international tractor. And its been working well. 
i have since loat the use of that tractor and i would like to get it working on my david brown 900. the hydraulic pump on the david brown would not be powerfull enough to power the log splitter. 
so im going to get a hydraulic pump to go on the pto, fit a tank for the oil and hopefully that should work well. 
im just after some advise on where i can get a small tank and a pto hydraulic pump. Ive been looking on ebay but im not sure which ones to get. 
if anyone has any pictures of there setups that would be great. 
any help would be much appreciated

thanks

73106E32-33CD-4BD8-82DB-7C0D7A2F0B49.jpeg

Flowfit do cheap PTO gearbox pumps but you need to work out what pump flow you want.

You actually can continue to draw oil from the tractor back axle but it needs a bit of thinking about, I posted a diagram years back but cannot immediately find it. Do fit a maxiflow type filter in the return line.

• Like 1

We used to run a splitter on a David brown 885,  or the fastest but worked it no bother. 
draw oil from the trailer tip port and free flow return back to the port on the lhs near the camels hump, do not return in the oil filler as it needs the return oil in the correct port to lube the gearbox.

• Like 2

Looking at your original tractor you'll want around 45lpm.

A belle diesel would be around 20lpm.

Something larger like a diesel power pack 40lpm.

Whilst you'll have to spend say 2.5k, it's self contained, simple and not much larger than the splitter. I use a hatz hydraulic pack, swapped the 240bar pump and got more flow at 160bar.

Edited by GarethM

Consider a two stage hydraulic pump too. Google pressure and flow and then calculate the force of your rod/ram. You want max (e.g.2000+PSI) when working the splitter hard when it first hits the wood and then the LPM speed when not - like a swift return cycle.

Tractors just have a one speed pump older tractors were around 140bar, power packs around 240+ as they are built to run hydraulic pumps so you can afford to swap to a larger pump as 2000 psi is 140bar.

Two stage pumps are more aimed at petrol due to the screaming rpm, if your running a diesel at 40lpm 1/2" lines are fine.

It all starts to become a rabbit hole of calculations etc, been there including all the engine calculations.

I use a hatz 1D81C 667cc diesel, 14cc pump so around 30lpm at 140 bar, it runs around 2300 rpm.

Whilst I'd love to buy an upgrade 40lpm powerpack that might be something for next year, swap the pump and it'd be well over 60lpm. (40lpm @ 240 bar = 20cc X 2300 / 60lpm @ 160 bar = 27cc X 2300)

I can run mine on a gallon a day, slow and steady and no hearing protection, I can even hear my phone ringing!.

Edited by GarethM

• 3 weeks later...