PPE and HSE

Mesterh

Tbh I have read that article but which is to take priority? I'm guessing the afag308 but why the contradiction? you should either be required to wear type c or not. Two different guidelines from the same place aint doing any1 any favours imo.

Thanks for the input though always appreciated, and interesting to know what others use.

The guidelines in AFAG 308 are for use of 'Top Handled Saws' in a tree (as you shouldnt use this type of saw on the ground)

AFAG guide 317 is reflecting chainsaw use on the ground with the protective back handle

I Hope this helps

I wear type a most of the time especailly in summer.

Last year I suffered from heat exhaustion once, not nice. Go light headed, dizzy and nearly pass out. When your up a tree with a running saw it's not funny.

On hot days with all the ppe on you really struggle to get rid of heat sometimes, I just think the risk of type a is less of a risk than heat stroke

If you justify heat issues as a reason for type "a" then why not change the job program to another task that is less likely to bring on these issues? Sorry just bing devils advocate

If I can I'll do that, along with early start, siesta and late finish, but not always OK with the client, situation etc. :wave:

Buzz - haven't tried it on treework, but have used them doing other things, If I'm on for a long hot one, I'll try that out.

:icon14:

Tbh most of the time while im in a tree I dont sweat that much compared to doing groundwork (I must be a slow bloody climber :o ) but I cba carring 2 pairs of pants about in the summer. Allthough if this year is anything like last year then i wont have anything to worry about :/

Pete - I agree heat is a major problem for climbers.

I am always hot - even if its -5 degrees ; so as you can imagine I melt in summer months. If it gets really hot I try to combat dehydration by freezing drinks in 2litre containers (removing them from the freezer at 6.00 in the morning) and drinking little and often during the day. Add a pinch of salt to a normal drink and its 'isotonic' - fluids then get into your system

quicker to combat heat stroke /exhaustion