Energy Bills

roboted

Energy Bills  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Come October what will your Energy ( Gas, Oil & Electric ) payments, ignoring government subsidies, be as a % of your net income

• 0-5%
    • 6-10%
    • 11-15%
    • 16-20%
    • 21% and above.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 30/09/22 at 08:08

In answer to the OP, we're now on £270 a month dual fuel.  We have a heat pump which costs more to run per year than keeping 10 Downing Street in new kitchens, so I tend not to use it for heating and have our two stoves on all winter.  I burn approx 12 cube a year of 'free' wood off our tree jobs.  But of course it's not free as I need to process it, rent a yard to store it etc etc.  But it feels free.

We only have a gas hob, so our gas is about £150 a year.  All the rest comes from heating hot water via the damn heat pump.

I even have a lovely japanese cast iron tea kettle that sits on the stove but my mrs can't be arsed to wait for it so boils the electric kettle from full each time anyway and then forgets to drink her tea.

3 minutes ago, Puffingbilly413 said:

I must admit to being curious, but £370 for half an hour's work to me means you sell drugs or play professional football, or perhaps both.  What is it you now do for a living? And how did you make such a transition from arb climber...?

I also think that regardless of one's income, there is still a degree of environmental duty not to overly consume energy just because you can afford to.  But that's a different topic entirely of course...

It's in line with other professions of a similar consultancy based nature. My hourly rate is similar to that of a top barrister or surgeon. My work is based on behavioural economics, psychology, marketing strategy and other related fields. I'm not as well educated as a top QC, and don't have what it takes to be a surgeon, but I do have a very rare set of skills and knowledge that are commercially very valuable. 

I transitioned from arb by giving it up and pursuing other interests. Nothing more exciting than that really. 

I do take your point about responsible energy use. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Retired Climber said:

It's in line with other professions of a similar consultancy based nature. My hourly rate is similar to that of a top barrister or surgeon. My work is based on behavioural economics, psychology, marketing strategy and other related fields. I'm not as well educated as a top QC, and don't have what it takes to be a surgeon, but I do have a very rare set of skills and knowledge that are commercially very valuable. 

I transitioned from arb by giving it up and pursuing other interests. Nothing more exciting than that really. 

I do take your point about responsible energy use. 

Noted m'lud.  That could still be drug dealing though...maybe something like the 51st State?

31 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

Unless you're producing your own. 

Energy?

Yeah I guess that's true depending on the means of production of that energy eg if it's genuinely renewable  and low emissions etc.

But if you're digging up your own peat bogs so you can sit in your eddie grundies and flipflops to watch the telly in January then less so.

• Like 2