My parents are victims of cowboy tree surgeons who are now blaming my mother.

rbx1453

7 minutes ago, GarethM said:

Well they won't stop growing food, they will however be forced to do one of two things.

1. Increase prices to pay for the fertiliser.

2. Increase prices but sacrifice yields, which would mean using more land to get the same amount of crop.

It's almost as nonsensical as regenerative farming, it not regenerative it low input farming. Put simply you're just farming livestock on a larger amount of land.

"They" don't set the prices 🤣

6 minutes ago, GarethM said:

It's almost as nonsensical as regenerative farming, it not regenerative it low input farming. Put simply you're just farming livestock on a larger amount of land.

You are farming livestock on the total area of land required to keep them alive, instead of using someone else's land in Ukraine or Brazil or wherever.

The land required (and crucially, when chemical fertilisers are used, the carbon footprint) doesn't just disappear. 

Nope as the saying goes.

"Farmers buy retail and sell wholesale".

We both know the argument about producing food abroad, it's the BS co2 argument. All because you don't produce it they feel all warm and fuzzy, whilst we still have grass that needs to be eaten.

17 minutes ago, peds said:

You are farming livestock on the total area of land required to keep them alive, instead of using someone else's land in Ukraine or Brazil or wherever.

The land required (and crucially, when chemical fertilisers are used, the carbon footprint) doesn't just disappear. 

Just to take things even further off-topic after the multi-de-rail, 😅 how's the rebuild coming along?

1 minute ago, Sutton said:

Just to take things even further off-topic after the multi-de-rail, 😅 how's the rebuild coming along?

Yep, we are getting there! I've heard it said that getting out of the ground is the hardest part, and I hope to God that's true.

Buried a few wastewater pipes and a radon sump the other day, I'm just ironing it flat again now.

16626292793346863569113176647051.thumb.jpg.cec561ac0d5cee1824a12f12ac8bb354.jpg

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Dan Maynard said:

I read an article the other day about the horticultural industry selling off the land with glasshouses on. My teenage job was on a tomato and lettuce nursery, there was turmoil in the 80s when Dutch tomatoes started coming in, and crops and methods changed but the business survived. Once you've built houses on the land there's no going back, we'll not have salad from there any more.

Yes, competition requires innovation etc which is a good thing. One hope is in community and localised projects, from individual/street heat and power units to urban vertical horticulture.

What my rant above was about was pointing out that "The State" is backing off from big monocultures

4 minutes ago, peds said:

Yep, we are getting there! I've heard it said that getting out of the ground is the hardest part, and I hope to God that's true.

Buried a few wastewater pipes and a radon sump the other day, I'm just ironing it flat again now.

16626292793346863569113176647051.thumb.jpg.cec561ac0d5cee1824a12f12ac8bb354.jpg

The vegetation appears to be lot closer than some previous pics.

Is that Ash dieback on the right?

2 minutes ago, Con said:

What about the cherry tree?😆

Mine's all right, the eucalyptus on the ground next to it isn't feeling very well though.

16626304929838058825475410627576.thumb.jpg.384b5fa05645344ebeaac3a78d265409.jpg

10 minutes ago, Sutton said:

The vegetation appears to be lot closer than some previous pics.

Is that Ash dieback on the right?

I moved the trees a bit closer for better birdwatching. 

Yeah, there's around 7 trees in a line to come down there, including the big one, which looks like an old giant that was coppiced once upon a time. Shame, but it'll improve the view. Two poplar that I'm not keen on as well, they've got a future in a hugelkulture bed.

• Haha 2