My parents are victims of cowboy tree surgeons who are now blaming my mother.

rbx1453

Thanks to all so far. So far I've established these guys are not cowboys. My mother is also not at fault. However the neighbours are claiming that our tree is growing into their garden. 

So one final question. With our tree dead, won't its suckers continue growing in the neighbour's garden because the neighbours haven't killed their suckers?

The neighbours seem to think it is our tree feeding their suckers.

8 minutes ago, rbx1453 said:

But even if our tree is dead, won't their tree now keep growing?

Well actually their tree kinda is your tree, but now it's just growing on their side of the fence.

And that foliage is now feeding the roots keeping the entire thing alive.

You both need to work together to deal with it rather than finger point and try to apportion blame.

Edited by coppice cutter
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, coppice cutter said:

Well actually their tree kinda is your tree, but now it's just growing on their side of the fence.

And that foliage is now feeding the roots keeping the entire thing alive.

You both need to work together to deal with it rather than finger point and try to apportion blame.

Unfortunately we have problem neighbours who are really not the type of people who would want to cooperate with us. 

When you say it is our tree, what do you mean by that? Do you mean its our tree since it reproduced asexually and thus it is has the same DNA as the tree that was in our garden but is now dead?

7 minutes ago, rbx1453 said:

Unfortunately we have problem neighbours who are really not the type of people who would want to cooperate with us. 

When you say it is our tree, what do you mean by that? Do you mean its our tree since it reproduced asexually and thus it is has the same DNA as the tree that was in our garden but is now dead?

I said it was "kinda" your tree, which it kinda is.

The suckers have come from the roots of your tree which have spread in to their garden.

And strictly speaking, your tree isn't dead, the root system from it, which plainly spans both gardens, is putting all it's efforts in to the growth in your neighbours garden.

Nature is no respecter of title deeds or ownership boundaries.

Edited by coppice cutter
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, rbx1453 said:

So their malicious behaviour is worse than I thought. They are claiming it is still growing when it isn't? Are you sure the tree is dead? Because there are leaves and such sprouting from parts of the roots that have grown across the garden.

I see that there had been a lot of replies so you may have your answer already (I'm haven't read through it all)

The tree can still grow from the existing root system hence why me and few others have suggested that it needs poisoning.

Your mum watering her flowers is gong to make fook all difference because one, it rains from time to time in old Blighty and two, the roots will have a well established system of finding water way below ground level. 

If that was my job I would fell to ground level, poison the stump and if there were any surface roots slash them with a saw and poison them. I would then say to the customer it may still grow back, if it does keep cutting any regrowth and it will eventually die off or give us a call and we will see poison it a second time for free.

Just be thankful it's not a white pop.

:)

It’s been a hilarious read from start to finish!

With a bit of foresight, patience and a sensible formative prune every couple of years, 10-15 years from now your cherry tree will have relocated next door as a splendid example of early Spring blossom and possibly even some tasty fruit for our feathered friends. 

I’ve lived in my house for a little under 16 yrs. Just before we moved in the previous owner cut out a fairly chunky Cherry with a stem diameter of about 15”.

Just cut the top out and left a 3’ bare stem. It’s taken a decade but I’ve got it into fairly good shape as a lovely garden tree - so YES - a Cherry absolutely will, can and does enthusiastically throw out both suckers and epicormic growth. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, rbx1453 said:

So if our tree is dead, won't their tree now keep growing?

WhatsApp Image 2022-09-03 at 21.27.28.jpeg

Your tree is gone.  This is now their tree.

Their tree is supporting a root system.

The roots of their tree now extends into your garden.

Be sure to complain to them if the roots cause you a nuisance.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

26 minutes ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

It’s been a hilarious read from start to finish!

With a bit of foresight, patience and a sensible formative prune every couple of years, 10-15 years from now your cherry tree will have relocated next door as a splendid example of early Spring blossom and possibly even some tasty fruit for our feathered friends. 

I’ve lived in my house for a little under 16 yrs. Just before we moved in the previous owner cut out a fairly chunky Cherry with a stem diameter of about 15”.

Just cut the top out and left a 3’ bare stem. It’s taken a decade but I’ve got it into fairly good shape as a lovely garden tree - so YES - a Cherry absolutely will, can and does enthusiastically throw out both suckers and epicormic growth. 

What a nice outcome mr j, pics please 😁