Prussic does not grab...

john87

Hi All,

tried out my new lanyard today with a prussic as the friction hitch. Lanyard is a Stein SCE [about 12mm diameter] and the friction cord is a Teufelberger Ocean 8mm E2E

Assembled it all together but when using it in conjunction with my flip line to pass a branch i flung the thing round, went to tighten it up and the prussic simply slid back along the lanyard..

Just as well i was already tied in twice or it might have ended in tears. It was like it a few times.. Seems like the friction cord is too stiff??? Same friction cord on my flip line works great though.. What have i done wrong??

john..

1.JPG

2.JPG

Friction hitches are always a bit slippery when all components are new. The prussic can be a bit like that anyway, even on worn rope. I always found you needed to slowly apply weight to the hitch and dress the knot as it gets weighted. Also, lifting the tail of the rope and giving it a tug upwards can help set the knot on the rope. 

This stuff is hard to explain in writing. Where in the country are you? 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, john87 said:

Hi All,

tried out my new lanyard today with a prussic as the friction hitch. Lanyard is a Stein SCE [about 12mm diameter] and the friction cord is a Teufelberger Ocean 8mm E2E

Assembled it all together but when using it in conjunction with my flip line to pass a branch i flung the thing round, went to tighten it up and the prussic simply slid back along the lanyard..

Just as well i was already tied in twice or it might have ended in tears. It was like it a few times.. Seems like the friction cord is too stiff??? Same friction cord on my flip line works great though.. What have i done wrong??

john..

1.JPG

2.JPG

I have the exact same combination of lanyard and friction cord. I never have a problem with grip. I believe that it's the choice of prussick knot and as has already been said, both ropes being new that's the issue. I use a Distal Hitch. It's so much better. I recommend that you give that a go. One nice thing is that you can easily vary the number of wraps to suit the situation. E.g. I use more if one or both ropes are new or I've just re-tied the hitch, less if it's wet and it keeps jamming.

Edited by sime42
  • Like 1

I agree with the distel hitch suggestions. I have found this to be the best knot for a lanyard with a pulley. Always bites, always gives out. The length and diameter combos are key. I have a 70cm 8mm e2e with a 13mm lanyard, works beautifully, but you'll probably find your own sweet spot. Also, I find the lark's foot type prussik knot doesn't work very well with pulleys as they pull the legs of the cord down the lanyard,  rather than outward, away from it, if that makes sense. This means the knot doesn't sit right when it bites and can get a bit stuck.

• Like 1

On 29/08/2022 at 07:27, Retired Climber said:

Friction hitches are always a bit slippery when all components are new. The prussic can be a bit like that anyway, even on worn rope. I always found you needed to slowly apply weight to the hitch and dress the knot as it gets weighted. Also, lifting the tail of the rope and giving it a tug upwards can help set the knot on the rope. 

This stuff is hard to explain in writing. Where in the country are you? 

Unhappily for me, about 100 miles away from Hampshire, which is most unfortunate as hampshire is a lovely place compared to grim Wales where i am..

On 29/08/2022 at 08:33, sime42 said:

I have the exact same combination of lanyard and friction cord. I never have a problem with grip. I believe that it's the choice of prussick knot and as has already been said, both ropes being new that's the issue. I use a Distal Hitch. It's so much better. I recommend that you give that a go. One nice thing is that you can easily vary the number of wraps to suit the situation. E.g. I use more if one or both ropes are new or I've just re-tied the hitch, less if it's wet and it keeps jamming.

Thank you very much for this!!!

john..