Value of big straight beech

Guest Gimlet

Guest Gimlet
2 hours ago, trigger_andy said:

IMG_8233.jpg

With the price of all timber so high at the moment, even extremely nasty imported stuff, it baffles me that beautiful home-grown timber like the above doesn't have more a of a market. 

Edited by Gimlet

With the price of all timber so high at the moment, even extremely nasty imported stuff, it baffles me that beautiful home-grown timber like the above doesn't have more a of a market. 

It might have a market, but when I’m getting £50 a cubic foot and sometimes £100 a cube for green oak why waste my milling time to mill a product that will bring less than I get for green larch? Better off as firewood unfortunately.

30 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

It might have a market, but when I’m getting £50 a cubic foot and sometimes £100 a cube for green oak why waste my milling time to mill a product that will bring less than I get for green larch? Better off as firewood unfortunately.

What do you charge for a 6x6 gatepost 8ft long?

Just now, doobin said:

What do you charge for a 6x6 gatepost 8ft long?

To be honest I mostly get requests for mantles or timber framing oak. For that Im £50 a cube. I’d charge the same for a gate post and if I got the order great if not I’ll not lose sleep. 

My last green mantle was £100 a cube. 

3 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

To be honest I mostly get requests for mantles or timber framing oak. For that Im £50 a cube. I’d charge the same for a gate post and if I got the order great if not I’ll not lose sleep. 

My last green mantle was £100 a cube. 

I’m not getting many takers at £100 for that size post. Not sure why, we are in a rich area. 

people went nuts for these yew planks though that I sawed just to save from the firewood pile. £20-£30 each. 

0584038C-0A95-4E16-8E69-692A9B84B4DA.jpeg

C3F641FC-E16C-4212-BB51-64099209B1C5.jpeg

Edited by doobin
  • Like 3

I’m not getting many takers at £100 for that size post. Not sure why, we are in a rich area. 

people went nuts for these yew planks though that I sawed just to save from the firewood pile. £20-£30 each. 
0584038C-0A95-4E16-8E69-692A9B84B4DA.thumb.jpeg.fbd3602ae03129e8f08885ebb0c25396.jpeg
C3F641FC-E16C-4212-BB51-64099209B1C5.thumb.jpeg.a2fd96e12434c736c172a15b4c3d1a36.jpeg

No, I’m guessing not £100 each for gate posts. I’d say £50 each is fair and I’d use some scrappy oak that did not make the Mantle grade.

10 hours ago, Squaredy said:

There certainly are sawmills that take Beech, but of course like other species they want it to arrive by the lorry load, and need it to be forest grown.

Hence a few decent stems that add up to half a load with poor access are sadly worth nothing.

Sites we work on are good access and forest grown and a wagon and drag load is no problem, but finding a buyer for it round here these days is near on impossible, we can sell it in loads like 2-3-4 tonne to guys doing a bit of wk end milling, but 15yr ago selling beech, ash, oak and elm local was no problem at all, as in a small near by village we had a company called Berrys who ran what we called locally as chipping chair works who i  think was linked to Waring & Gillows, they employed about 120 people and it was once over a very busy place but i think most of its operation was moved south, this place would take what ever hardwood we could produce back then, but sadly no more,,,,

• Sad 1

That’s my thinking.

The Beech I’ve milled and used for my own projects is lovely timber, is a bit of a shame it’s not currently very desirable.

Saying that Dave seems to flog it quite readily.

IMG_8233.thumb.jpg.fa3ae9066882b709119c2038059c7b4e.jpg
Andy, did you make that rocking horse yourself ? If so where did you get the plans for it ? Or did you just make it up as you went along ? Cheers.