Can this Maple be helped

Hoe Moaner

Question

Are those sprouts at the base also maple? I agree the tree looks half dead and you can't regenerate old wood but what about leave it through this summer and carefully fell out the main stem next winter, let the sprouts take over and make a new tree?

Sort of coppice idea, keep the established root so less likely to have water problems next year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The sprouts, or whatever they were, at the base were dry and brittle. The entire tree went on to quickly die after my original post. One hates anything to die, but watering did not seem to help. The tree has been removed and is still to be replaced. Thanks sincerely for the thoughts on it. 

• Like 3

By all means! One did feel one owed the respondents an update. Thank you for your comments also. 

What a fine thing to have a place where one can bring a tree question and have it answered quickly, by knowledgeable people. 

I happened to check out "Find A Freelancer" -- and realized this must be a UK web site!

I had no idea. 

Well, I guess there are many similarities between trees there and here in the U.S. 

Not least that God created every magnificent one of them. 

Search this Earth from pole to pole

and please get back to me

if you should ever come upon 

a man who's made a tree. 

4 hours ago, Hoe Moaner said:

Not least that God created every magnificent one of them. 

Search this Earth from pole to pole

and please get back to me

if you should ever come upon 

a man who's made a tree.

You might find it a little depressing to look into the techniques and systems used to propagate trees (and, for that matter, 99% of all plants grown commercially) in modern horticulture.

God hasn't lifted a finger for hundreds of years. 

• Haha 1

man has always helped agriculture along, when it was to his benefit. modern techniques wouldn't work without God's contribution. 

but how kind of you to comment, and so intelligently, at that, and I thank you. but what I'd really like to talk about today is my new problem. 

while I wasn't looking, a tree grew behind a house where I'm sometimes called to visit.  

not far behind, understand -- just, right behind. 

as you can see it grew up through a disused piece of iron porch railing.

for some reason i managed to take my blinders off the other day to see it had grown up against the guttered roof -- and later i saw water damage -- and some black mold -- was showing on the ceiling inside the house. 

i hate to kill a beautiful walnut, and already so big! the trunk is as big as big person's thigh. 

you have to give the tree credit. it grew under the eave until it realized it could get no taller. so that main shoot died but two others took over. witness the original trunk, sticking up now like the dead toothpick it is. 

one of the two inheritor trunks stayed well clear of the edge of the house. doesn't that one deserved to be given a chance? i expect i'll just have the offending trunk cut. 

the one that didn't bend out far enough. that is in fact rubbing up against the structure, unapologetically. 

but wait, i cannot leave this tree at all, can i? i must just kill it. 

for look at the base of it. i suspect in a brawn contest between house and tree, tree would triumph easily. and that match looks imminent.

having no chain saw myself, and being too wimpy to do it by hand with a tree saw, there is no way i can do anything but pay someone to come murder this fine tree, is it not so? and i must do it soon. 

such a shame these brutal decisions we are called upon to make. 

20221006_152245.jpg

20221006_152240.jpg

20221006_152301.jpg

I think Robinia, you can’t leave this tree so close to the building something has to go building or tree it’s your decision, however as the tree has poor form and is already mishapen I would remove the tree, and kill the stump it will sucker and regrow given half a chance.