Chainsaw value, anyideas?

rodp

OK gents, I have two chainsaws that I intend to get rid of now I have the Titan electric one. First is a Stihl MS170, starts relatively easy, runs well, oiler works as it should, chain cuts wood, had covers off and was completely cleaned out inside along with plug and filters fitted. It did have a leak from the oil feed pipe which wasn't seated correctly, but that's been done and it appears oil tight now.(My fault completely)

Second one is a Husky 136, again been stripped and thoroughly cleaned inside and out, only ever run this one for a few minutes and cut one maybe two branches so unknown really, oiler works, not been serviced or messed with, chain cut wood, was hard starting and haven't tried since (sod it, I'm almost 69 and electric is easier).

Thought about trying to do a deal against a used brush cutter if possible, if no good I'll just sell them. Would anyone care to give me some idea of a realistic value please, I'm not really in to buying or selling chainsaws and I need some idea of a price/value to list them in the ads.

Thanks in advance gents.

IMG_20220605_115732.jpg

IMG_20220605_115746.jpg

IMG_20220605_122802.jpg

IMG_20220605_122902.jpg

20 minutes ago, Retired Climber said:

Not sure why anyone would take a risk buying such a thing second hand when they can get a new one for peanuts. I just looked and the Stihl can be bought new for about 150 quid. 

That's right, neither were expensive saws I don't think, but worth it or not depends upon what you pay for them. That's why I'm asking.

Also, it would appear £150 is without bar and chain, £181 with those ?

58 minutes ago, rodp said:

That's right, neither were expensive saws I don't think, but worth it or not depends upon what you pay for them. That's why I'm asking.

Sorry, I always look at ex VAT prices. Yes, 170 quid Inc the VAT. Personally, I can't understand why anyone would buy a saw second hand to save 100 quid or less off of a new one. If I were you I'd be off to the local car boot sale on Sunday, that's how I've always got rid of unwanted saws. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rodp said:

Yes, ones i saw were about £180. Problem you have, is that by the time someone bought one and then maybe fitted a bar and chain and did them up a bit, they might as well have bought a new one.

All my saws [ i have four] start second or third pull from cold, and half a pull when warm, so anything that is hard to start is either knackered or the user is doing something wrong..

john..

4 minutes ago, john87 said:

anything that is hard to start is either knackered or the user is doing something wrong..

john..

Unused for a long time and still on the plug it came with. Good compression so assume it's relatively minor, probably a service and tune up

These are both relatively common saws. There will be masses of them offered on ebay on facebook marketplace at anyone time. This might help you with asking prices if not value.

As said before, the second hand prices offered for these disposable saws amazes me. Why pay £150 on a second hand gamble when you can buy new for a few quid more?

I feel differently about larger professional saws. I find them easier to fix and longer lasting.

• Like 2