55 Years with Saws and Wood without Serious Injury and then…..

Billhook

14 minutes ago, Stubby said:

I remember when my old Dad fell over indoors ( 96 and frail so could not move him ) I had to wait 7 hours for an ambulance they were that stretched .Not their fault , just had to prioritize calls .

That’s third world stuff.

Disgraceful. 

• Like 3

Just now, Mick Dempsey said:

That’s third world stuff.

Disgraceful. 

Yea but it was what it was Mick . I had to sit on the ground with him poor old bugger . A bit of dementia was probably of a benefit in that situation as he had no real concept of time .  

Just now, Mick Dempsey said:

I’m sorry to read this Stubs.

Sok Mick . But thank you . He was one of many that could not be visited due to covid stuff . Died in the old folks home and I never got to see him . Done his bit on carriers during the war in the Fleet Air Arm . He knew I loved him . I wanna die before I get to that stage . Alas I have a strong ticker !

• Like 7

55 Years without a serious miss-hap is some good going in this line of work. Clearly good at assessing risks and mitigating them 

Hope it heals up fast

As for our health service its well and truly wrecked at present. Next doors mum was found in her home on the floor having been there for some time. They called for an ambulance but it didn't show so they just took a chance and just got her up and sorted out as best they could. The ambulance did in the end show 2 days late! No one was blaming the paramedics as they were just working through the list they were given. Guess if it was an RTA there would be a different priority but even so 2 days! Personally happy to pay higher taxes to sort this as I would chose rather health over wealth any day. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mick Dempsey said:

I think that people conflate the NHS with medical treatment generally.

It’s like they think without the NHS there are no doctors or nurses or medicines.

8 hours sitting in casualty is unacceptable, yet we (you) accept it.

It is not good enough and needs shaking up and sorting out.

Yes but how do you shake it up? Creating a scene in the hospital does nobody any good.  Politicians keep up the NHS being the best in the World Mantra hoping that if you repeat it enough times people will believe it.  I am afraid it will have to break down completely, with many innocent deaths before things change.

A bit like our current energy change of plan, nothing happens until there is a crisis

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Will C said:

@Billhook hope you have a good recovery, looks like one of those ones you are going to catch on everything you touch 🥴

Thanks for that, actually it is not hurting as much as I thought it would and maybe the tear looked a lot worse when it was fresh.  Now all sown up and cleaned I find I have no pain and can pick things up between my thumb and forefinger as before.  I will obviously have to be very careful until the stitches are removed and consider myself very lucky so far not to have been permanently disabled.  The other really important thing is that I am left handed!!!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Stubby said:

Yea but it was what it was Mick . I had to sit on the ground with him poor old bugger . A bit of dementia was probably of a benefit in that situation as he had no real concept of time .    

Not sure if I told you of being let down by the NHS with the death of my dear old father in 2007.  He was 87 and had actually had a very successful  open heart operation at the Glenfield in Leicester in 1999.  NHS working well as far as the surgery went, although we were forced to go privately to avoid a long wait during which time father's life would have deteriorated a great deal.  However even after paying £10,000 he still had to be in a public ward to be monitored.  BUPA we stopped paying some years before because of the high premiums and we worked out that we wold have paid£30,000 in premiums so by cancelling BUPA we saved £20,000.

However he also had a pace maker which needed a new battery in 2007, the main heart operation having been a total success and given him a new lease of life for eight years.  The new battery operation was a simple local anesthetic op, same day in out but it was done by an inexperienced person who botched something and the wound started to weep.  This was of concern as the weep could go back down the wire to the heart.  Anyway it was 50/50 as to whether to leave it or not and after a discussion with the main surgeon we decided to redo the pacemaker as long as he was in and out the. same day.

Took him in on Friday (always a bad sign) they phoned to say that the op had not been done and he would have to wait till Monday.  Every day in a ward is no fun, no peace, lights on , people groaning moving about.  I stayed in a building for relatives and was shocked to find that simple things like his urine bottle had not been replaced.  I eventually had to go into the stores and find one  for him "Hey you are not allowed in there"     "What are you going to do about it?"   seemed to work

He was on a ward with several other patients who had pace makers fitted and the bloke in the bed next to him had a lump on his chest the size of a tennis ball where they had fitted the pacemaker.  He was showing it to us all when an Asian surgeon burst in still in his bloody gear and shouted, "This should not have happened, I am sorry I am sorry" and then ran out again leaving us all a bit stunned.

Eventually after three days Father became so run down with lack of sleep and confusion that I demanded his release.  We brought him home but he was in such a state that he died a week later, at least in his own bed with his family around him, so I feel for you with your father Stubby, who died alone.

I actually had a call from the surgeon who apologised which was something I suppose.

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

There's a guy near me who went in near paralyzed with a back problem (Ireland). Stuck on a trolly in a corridor for six hours and nobody would take him to the toilet to pee. He was in agony and ended up phoning 999 for an ambulance. Obviously, the resulting confusion and drama was legendary... They helped him use the toilet after that...

• Like 2