Stovax Stockton 5

We have a bigger Stockton 8 (or 10?) It’s 4 year old and had about 15 cube a year through it for 4 winters it is wore up. All the insides have deformed to the point we are looking at having to replace it this year once we let it go out.

It’s not been abused and we don’t think it has offered value for money at all, needless to say we won’t be having another one.
That said we know of a different model stovax that has done 10year of service burning about the same quantity as us that is still in fantastic condition and looks like it will do plenty more years.

I've a 5. Fitted with the smoke control kit.  Burns well and throws plenty of heat but like many stoves with smoke control, it isn't controllable except by the logs.  It's coming to the end of year 6 now and has been run hard, burning 40-45 m³ in that time.  Mine is not as #£#*ed as will's sounds but has suffered.  Log guard is bananad by the heat as was the baffle.  10 mins and a club hammer at the chopping block got the baffle semi straight again.  A bolt on plate that is part of the smoke chamber bananad and burnt away.... Impressive for thick cast iron. On distorting it broke the top fire brick at each side.  I tried removing it to replace but after 5 years the bolts are stuck firm.  It matters not though, stove function isn't affected.  In 6 years the stove has had one replacement door seal and replacements of the 2 broken bricks, v that's not bad.

I'd say the stove owes me nothing, but then it was my£550 when I bought it iirc, o believe it's more like £850 now.  Next time I buy, I'd pay a bit more and for for something else.

13 minutes ago, Mik the Miller said:

I have a Stovax, less than 18 month old i've had to replace the rope in the door and reset the hinges.

The stove fills the room with ash and smoke when reloading.

Bad build quality, would be OK at half the price ....

The rope can be a problem but manual says replace ever year but how do's that. Last time I replaced rope has got to be 3 years now. 

Indeed, just reading through this thread and I'm shocked by the concept of a stove "wearing out".

Our Burley has been in 8 or 9 years now, and apart from the glass being a bit bloomy and a couple of cracks on the vermiculite board at the back (caused by people chucking logs in from like three feet away! 😡), it is genuinely no different from the day it went it.

And, it's been our main source of heating every winter since it went in so it's not like it's some sort of evening ornament.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1