Tree removal close to property

Thesnarlingbadger

Hi All,

I have a client who has a tulip tree that she would like to remove. She is worried about heave with the tree coming down.

I have explained that I think it would fine and wouldn’t cause an issue. However I have said I’ll double check and get back to her when I have some more solid advice.

The tree is around 6/7m high and around 3m from the conservatory and 5m from the house. I’ve taken down plenary of trees this size near property’s and never heard of an issue but wanted to check with you lot to see what your thoughts were.

Pictures of tree below. Thanks as always.

Cheers Eric

IMG_1646948406.896998.jpg34f86789-ac51-4e23-b169-a49193e6288e.jpg54b695c7-7790-4242-accb-3f530d731eee.jpg

Unless it's sited on clay soil with a high shrink/swell potential you have nothing to worry about.

1) How old is the tree in relation to the conservatory and the house?
2) What are the specifications of the foundations of both structures?
c) Was there a pre-existing soil moisture deficit when the tree was planted/establishing? 

Edited by Mark J

The tree is situated in yate Bristol which generally has a lomey clay content. The tree I would say was planted 10/15 years ago (going on growth rate) and the conservatory was slightly before that. The house would have been build in the 80’s or early 90’s. They are not worried about the wall as the tree has already caused damage so are planning on re building a section of wall at some point. I can’t say anything about the pre-existing soil moisture as I wouldn’t have a clue unfortunately. The other option is to do a phased fell but this would seem a little pointless if the likelihood of risk to the conservatory or house is minimal.

Thanks again for the help?

• Like 1

The conservatory predating the tree is good. If there are no signs of settlement cracks on the conservatory then the risk of heave is minimal. 

The property is only about five miles from the site of the infamous candyfloss foundations so your client is going to be nervous 😉

It's generally accepted that phased fells are pointless 🙂

Edited by Canal Navvy
Addition
  • Like 3

Soil heave as a result of removing vegetation is only a potential issue when the vegetation predates the buildings.
Phased reductions are pointless, the soil is going to swell back to its potential whether the tree is removed over three years, or over three hours. 

Edited by Mark J
  • Like 4

If felling a tree of that size within that proximity to a house would cause heave then nearly all of us would be bankrupt from being sued to death.

Just out of interest has anyone had any personal comeback from heave due to work that they have carried out?

Not actual comeback, but observation of a circa 1800s farmhouse being "underpinned"

post removal of a monster leylandii. 

My best guess is that the corner of the building affected had previously been underpinned due to moisture deficit and subsequently returned to closer to the original level. 

In effect the house had only been made vulnerable to heave by attempts to remediate seasonal settlement, it probably would have been better historically to have diverted the downpipes to that corner to keep the clay hydrated 😉

• Thanks 1