Lights for Night working

benedmonds

Headtorch is an essential anyway, I’ve settled on Ledlenser in a few forms and very happy with them.

If possible get some lighting on the Chipper, the Forst can have an additional light tower, but not huge expense/hassle to rig something decent up given the advances in LED lights these days.

These Milwaukee tower lights seem to be getting popular, and are easily carried/setup, which is what you need given the nightmare of terrain Rail can provide.

Bit of a random video clip I edited, but you can see a couple of the Milwaukee cordless lights in action here.

Eddie.

Like i said i'm well out of touch with modern lighting on railways and the modern railway rules.

Hell when i was on them u could just wear ur normal cutting gear all u needed was a hi viz vest on top.

Probably shouldn't say here but I used to sew my vests up, soon got sick of them constantly tearing apart dragging thorn or the odd 1 going throu the chipper.

My thought was i'm never anywhre near the tracks with trains running so makes no odds having it sown up, definately far less hassle

I have heard now with head torches for railways u need a red light on the rear too? Dunno if that is true or not.just in case ur boys buy normal head torches

Must admit i always struggled with a head torch and my visor for night time cutting and usually took it off for night shifts

• Like 1

23 hours ago, LGP Eddie said:

More like two boxes in the van door and all old head torches for those who’s don’t work or have forgotten them!🤦‍♂️

Yep, I've had all the top of the range head and hand torches over the years, the last couple of years I've switched to cheaper but still half decent ones, and lots of them! 

Better a good torch that you've got to hand than a brilliant one that you've left at home!😅😅

On 25/02/2022 at 11:23, drinksloe said:

Been 20 year since i done any night shift railway work but any job i've ever been on back then was just a case of a genny on a trolley and u pushed it down the track to the worksite.

Usually just had a couple of big halogen spots, nowadays with LED work lights should be able to get a lot more or a smaller genny

It must be six or seven years since I went on a night possession but by then we had progressed from a pair of 2kVA chinese gensets each with two cheap halogen stands from screwfix  to battery flood lights like these

2d8e93_3c4828d8c50047cc92658a05161a5383~

1 hour ago, openspaceman said:

It must be six or seven years since I went on a night possession but by then we had progressed from a pair of 2kVA chinese gensets each with two cheap halogen stands from screwfix  to battery flood lights like these

2d8e93_3c4828d8c50047cc92658a05161a5383~

These are good. 
All depends on lots of things.
They are great for when we were working in a small area. But if the work area is larger then the tower lights in partnership with head lights would be the way to go (in my opinion)
I' might also be asking the main contractor if they could assist with the lighting.... assist with getting additional lighting that could be used.  If it's a large ish possession they'll already be providing light for their own workforce????

14 minutes ago, Bob_z_l said:

These are good. 
All depends on lots of things.
They are great for when we were working in a small area. But if the work area is larger then the tower lights in partnership with head lights would be the way to go (in my opinion)
I' might also be asking the main contractor if they could assist with the lighting.... assist with getting additional lighting that could be used.  If it's a large ish possession they'll already be providing light for their own workforce????

yes there's no question that a diesel engined tower light is better but if you only have a trolley and are tabbing in half a mile...

• Like 1