Why am I so disgusted at the Charity Commission investigating Capt. Toms charity

difflock

On 21/02/2022 at 13:23, ChrisNewport said:

Nope. Not even one. 

Have a go at me then.  I am chairman of a local charity which was formed from the estate of a local vet.  We have four members all volunteers with no expenses charged to the charity.  We have a seven figure account which is checked by both accountants and the charity commission.  It was set up to help veterinary students from the county, students of music and the arts and Churches. We generally manage to give each student about 2K a year,  really for students whose families cannot afford to help them.  The positive feedback we receive is reward enough.

• Like 10

2 minutes ago, Billhook said:

Have a go at me then.  I am chairman of a local charity which was formed from the estate of a local vet.  We have four members all volunteers with no expenses charged to the charity.  We have a seven figure account which is checked by both accountants and the charity commission.  It was set up to help veterinary students from the county, students of music and the arts and Churches. We generally manage to give each student about 2K a year,  really for students whose families cannot afford to help them.  The positive feedback we receive is reward enough.

Sounds like a proper charity👍. Not a business like lots of others are?

• Like 3

12 hours ago, dan blocker said:

Sounds like a proper charity👍. Not a business like lots of others are?

Perhaps I am old fashioned, but charity work should be done for free. Your time and expenses should be given if you believe your cause to be noble enough.  
It is still a business in that we have to produce accounts, we are accountable and we have to try and be responsible with our investments to secure enough profit to pay the students and Churches

The accounts must balance and we must not spend more than we earn

Edited by Billhook
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Billhook said:

Perhaps I am old fashioned, but charity work should be done for free. Your time and expenses should be given if you believe your cause to be noble enough.  
It is still a business in that we have to produce accounts, we are accountable and we have to try and be responsible with our investments to secure enough profit to pay the students and Churches

The accounts must balance and we must not spend more than we earn

I dream of a world where the bigname charities are run by those retired on fat pensions from business, self made tycoons or even, cough cough, retired on fat pensions Government types.

And smaller charities by those furthur down the prestige tree.

For the honour and prestige alone. End of.

Unfortunately with most charities I see touted, my first thought is "whats in it for them".

And all TV appeals must include if there were any donations made by the "star" and/or any fees or "expenses" paid to the star (he)artfully playing on our emotions.

greed greed greed.

• Like 3

Found the smoking gun.

NHS Charities together.

With a CE on an apparently undisclosable salary, who has recently appointed a few new "helpers". No doubt also on undisclosable salaries.

FFS!

Btw. NHS Together "grassed up' Capt Tom's  Foundation, which was  set up after the money was raised and given to the NHS( well akinda, but not quite!) in the first instance.

Did the new Foundation perhaps decide they were going to exert more control over how their charity funds were to be disembursed?

Follow the money as somebody else suggested.

Edited by difflock
  • Like 1