water rates

Craig Johnson

2 hours ago, Dan Maynard said:

Went back to mains water for flushing rather than start using our own chemicals.

Not wanting to derail the water rates discussion, but most of the year I risk my health by drinking / cooking with untreated water from a local natural spring, it's wonderful, and when I'm in Glasgow I buy spring water at £1.25 a gallon, once you get used to this tap water really stinks of chemicals.

I don't know if water treatment is standardised throughout the UK and I realise that the supply of safe drinking water is imperative to public health, but when some years ago I started noticing a very much increased amount of deposited white substance on the kitchen sinks stainless draining board from the small amount of water that had evaporated overnight I went about trying to find out just exactly what is put in the water to treat it.

Not an easy thing to find out, as a layman... after a few tries just googling and spread over a few years [ only when my curiosity was spiked by said white residue ]  I eventually came across this FOI request to Scottish Water, some folk may be interested in this, I think to be ingesting these chemicals on a daily basis can't really be healthy but thankfully no Fluoride in Scotland.

Could you please supply details, broken down by month, of all chemical additives used in the mains water supply serving...

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Dan Maynard said:

In a previous job my boss decided to build his own factory unit, went for triple thick insulation, heat pump, individual room temperature sensors, rainwater harvesting for flushing toilets, biodigester and pond.

Trouble was, algae built up in the cisterns so the toilets always smelt a bit pondy and water in the bowl was greeny brown colour before using it. Went back to mains water for flushing rather than start using our own chemicals.

I’d of thought that would be a relatively easy fix with something like a slow release chlorine tablet??

2 hours ago, Macpherson said:

Not wanting to derail the water rates discussion, but most of the year I risk my health by drinking / cooking with untreated water from a local natural spring, it's wonderful, and when I'm in Glasgow I buy spring water at £1.25 a gallon, once you get used to this tap water really stinks of chemicals.

I don't know if water treatment is standardised throughout the UK and I realise that the supply of safe drinking water is imperative to public health, but when some years ago I started noticing a very much increased amount of deposited white substance on the kitchen sinks stainless draining board from the small amount of water that had evaporated overnight I went about trying to find out just exactly what is put in the water to treat it.

Not an easy thing to find out, as a layman... after a few tries just googling and spread over a few years [ only when my curiosity was spiked by said white residue ]  I eventually came across this FOI request to Scottish Water, some folk may be interested in this, I think to be ingesting these chemicals on a daily basis can't really be healthy but thankfully no Fluoride in Scotland.

Could you please supply details, broken down by month, of all chemical additives used in the mains water supply serving...

Not read the link but chances are the water comes from a chalk aquifer and has calcium bicarbonate in it.

5 hours ago, Dan Maynard said:

In a previous job my boss decided to build his own factory unit, went for triple thick insulation, heat pump, individual room temperature sensors, rainwater harvesting for flushing toilets, biodigester and pond.

Trouble was, algae built up in the cisterns so the toilets always smelt a bit pondy and water in the bowl was greeny brown colour before using it. Went back to mains water for flushing rather than start using our own chemicals.

I repaired a rainwater harvesting plant on a domestic property a few years back, a few days later the customer was on the phone complaining about the green water in the toilets as if it was my fault! I asked him if the water was clear before it broke down, he'd only moved in recently and it wasn't working when he moved in. I went back, turned the plant off and put them back on mains supply, that was a swift £600 to repair something that was then only going to be used to water the garden.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eggsarascal said:

I repaired a rainwater harvesting plant on a domestic property a few years back, a few days later the customer was on the phone complaining about the green water in the toilets as if it was my fault! I asked him if the water was clear before it broke down, he'd only moved in recently and it wasn't working when he moved in. I went back, turned the plant off and put them back on mains supply, that was a swift £600 to repair something that was then only going to be used to water the garden.

Now you;re putting me off, I don't think sitting in a bath of warm green slime would leave me feeling relaxed of an evening.

5 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

Now you;re putting me off, I don't think sitting in a bath of warm green slime would leave me feeling relaxed of an evening.

I've only ever done the one, on paper they look good, they have a filter system in the chamber which I cleaned out, the water was still green after running an outside tap for 24 hours.

Until I needed parts for that one I didn't realise that whatever they are badged with most of them are manufactured by Kingspan, the insulation company.

14 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

I've only ever done the one, on paper they look good, they have a filter system in the chamber which I cleaned out, the water was still green after running an outside tap for 24 hours.

Until I needed parts for that one I didn't realise that whatever they are badged with most of them are manufactured by Kingspan, the insulation company.

I have a rusty galvanised tank in the loft, it may pay me to put a couple of plastic ones up there instead and pump from the well via a filter but only worth it if we go on a meter. Then I will have to run a mains plastic pipe in as the current iron pipe only dribbles at the kitchen tap in summer. Our 1959 extension is built over the iron pipe.

What rules govern well water?

2 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

I have a rusty galvanised tank in the loft, it may pay me to put a couple of plastic ones up there instead and pump from the well via a filter but only worth it if we go on a meter. Then I will have to run a mains plastic pipe in as the current iron pipe only dribbles at the kitchen tap in summer. Our 1959 extension is built over the iron pipe.

What rules govern well water?

Can't help on the rules, I'd imagine few or none for domestic Wells. I'd take a sample to a Lab and see what's in there before spending any money.