New kiln

Big Beech

Hi yeah I am but I have an Arrowsmith Jnr unit to start with got all the instructions and drying schedules to go with it so going to give that a go first just need to unbolt the fridge stuff and run some power,and find some nice saw logs ,I have some burr mullberry but yeah on the lookout for some nice saw logs will keep you posted on how I get on. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 15/02/2022 at 23:44, gobbypunk said:

Hi yeah I am but I have an Arrowsmith Jnr unit to start with got all the instructions and drying schedules to go with it so going to give that a go first just need to unbolt the fridge stuff and run some power,and find some nice saw logs ,I have some burr mullberry but yeah on the lookout for some nice saw logs will keep you posted on how I get on. 

Evening, I have the same unit, recently purchased second hand. They didn’t have any of the paperwork to go with it, don’t suppose you’d be able to snap a few photos of your paperwork and email them across to me please? My email is [email protected] 

On 16/01/2022 at 21:37, Big Beech said:

Fans are a sticking point here in the UK it seems.... All vanity based, wrong sizes and volumes unless you go proper industrial, but over sized for a craft of this size 🙄

A bit late but I've just read this, how much air do you need to move ?

I had a spray booth about the size of the kilns you showed and I used a 12v car radiator fan which was up to that job, VW about 12" if I remember correct.

I kept it in it's original mounting which was trimmed to fit in a duct and run off a variable transformer to control the speed, but it would even work off a cheap battery charger.

Cheap as chips and come in all shapes and sizes from a scrappy, lasted more than 20 years, cheers.

10 hours ago, Macpherson said:

A bit late but I've just read this, how much air do you need to move ?

I had a spray booth about the size of the kilns you showed and I used a 12v car radiator fan which was up to that job, VW about 12" if I remember correct.

I kept it in it's original mounting which was trimmed to fit in a duct and run off a variable transformer to control the speed, but it would even work off a cheap battery charger.

Cheap as chips and come in all shapes and sizes from a scrappy, lasted more than 20 years, cheers.

Air flow is similar to a cars fan, but at 12v somewhat awkward to run off of the mains. If I ever found myself out in the woods than they may be an option with some leisure batteries 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

Cracking kiln but I envisioned it being so much bigger.

I might take the easy option and buy the Logosol Tent offering.

It will take what I want volume wise. All well and good going big but you need to feed it and sell it. Bigger unit heat. Dehumidifier etc. and bigger bucks.

it is designed around what I want to mill which is 8ft and up to 4ft wide.

This may just be the beginning of it works and may in the future upgrade to a shipping container and Nyle system.

I need to add up my figures but all in I am around £1400.

this first load covers that and more.

So today I yet again checked on the kiln, was running at 109*f or 42*c.

humidity was down to 49.1-% and since Saturday I’ve extracted 9ltrs of water.

this is a full 10* over the specified working temp of 32*c the dehumidifier is meant to be operational, so decided to vent the kiln by opening the door to remove some excess heat as it was clear the extractor fan wasn’t clearing as needed. Secondly I will be adding another venting fan for drawing in fresh air in the opposite corner to that of the extraction fan.