council work

billythegoat

Ask the council what they want. It may include your recent TPO work applications and inspections of your work.

Round here you need AA approved status

sorry they simply cant stipulate that as AA or isa or any other body as they are not a mandatory industry accreditation & complianice with guidance is purely voluntary

best value regs - etc

so long as all works are carried out within legislated parameters, they cannot exclude you !!

• 6 months later...

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your LA tree officer wants a quiet life. He wants contractors that will shine and show him in a good light to his superiors and elected officers. Provide that and you are half way there.

You are going to need to show competence in your work and a documentary audit trail.

You could start with a covering letter requesting consideration for council contracts and include supporting documents

Your documents should include

Insurance

Copy of generic risk assessment documentation

Copy of generic method statement

Copy of health and safety policy

Current LOLER inspection

Waste transfer licence

Goods vehicle operators licence (if applicable)

NPTC competencies

Formal qualifications

First aid qualifications

Details of referees, preferably from similar successfully completed contracts.

Follow up the letter with a phone call or hand it in personally. Be prepared for an assessment visit to a working job.

If you need help with the H&S paperwork you can PM me

• 2 weeks later...

Why not talk to a friendly woodland officer at your local City Council? They are usually very helpful

Failing that don't forget a method statement with the other bits you mentioned and awareness-sensitivity to TPO's, SSSI, footpath issues and access/the law in general relating to the countryside and photo examples of your work?

Becareful with TPO applications aswell. Noticed a cpl of councils are now stating that approved works MUST be carried out by a qualified aborist. Wrong anyone can do the work as long as it complies with BS 3998. I have just done work for a client and he as made a claim for compensation, he could have done the work himself but the he followed the condition. Be interesting to see what happens

Becareful with TPO applications aswell. Noticed a cpl of councils are now stating that approved works MUST be carried out by a qualified aborist. Wrong anyone can do the work as long as it complies with BS 3998. I have just done work for a client and he as made a claim for compensation, he could have done the work himself but the he followed the condition. Be interesting to see what happens

Good point!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Most of our Council contracts require 5 million insurance, some do require 10 million.

Some of our clients also stipulate AA approved status as they feel this is the best/most rigorous form of acreditation. Believe me it go's a long way! A lot further than ISA!!!! In my opinion this is due to the rigorous evaluation of the AA.

I would also encourage you to get ISO 9001, 14001 & ISHO 18001 acreditation.

We as a company also have Construction line approved status, CHAS, and are profesional members of the Arb assocciation (Mgt team).

Basicaly the more profesional you are in every sense increases the chances of getting the bigger contracts. But dont forget it may be a £1.5 million contract, but in real terms YOU will see no way this amount.

Invest in your staff!! This will increase your work skills and thus your chances of getting more skilled contracts.

We now only employ charge hands/foreman who have a min Tech cert or FdSc in arb! We feel this is the right direction for a medium - largish sized arb company.

As Treequip stated, but i would also include company history, including company structure, mobilisation plans for a given event etc. Show these people you have a plan and long term vision.

Include or identify a company statement/environmental statement.

I have built very good relationships with LA's by going out of my way to help with tree related issues. Even if this is IDing a species of tree. LA's like to know you will be there for them if the S**T hits the fan.

http://www.acorntreesurgery.com