Jump to content

Isc rope grab help


noidea
 Share

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, Mesterh said:

Don't get upset about it. Pete knows his stuff, just accept that others are far more qualified and experienced than you are and that we should listen to what they say. He isn't trying to pull the wool over your eyes. 

 

If you don't like the product then don't buy it or use it but it's not worth bad mouthing it and trying to stop others from using it just because you don't understand how it works. Stick to what you know and understand and let the experts get on with giving professional advice.

 

Tbh I wish I had listened to pro advice long ago as I probably wouldn't have had wrist and elbow damage from using shitty old techniques.

 

 

I am always willing to listen to others, of course i am and i have learnt LOADS from you all.. Everyone on here is hugely experienced compared to me, BUT if people start to get abusive, posting "Yer full of shit" type comments, then i will reply in kind..

 

Still, no harm done, we all say silly things, even me!!

 

john..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am always willing to listen to others, of course i am and i have learnt LOADS from you all.. Everyone on here is hugely experienced compared to me, BUT if people start to get abusive, posting "Yer full of shit" type comments, then i will reply in kind..
 
Still, no harm done, we all say silly things, even me!!
 
john..

I think the points being made are that if, by your own admission, you have scant experience or knowledge, which certainly comes across in your replies , then it is most likely best to leave GIVING advice to those who have done more than educate themselves watching You Tube and existing on forums .
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for the reply’s didn’t expect it end up like this. 

All advice is welcome. 
I have used the grab before on an older flip line and always found it worked great that’s why I was surprised when putting this one together. 
I have loaded the grab at it still slips, I’m going to contact the shop and the manufacturer for advice. 
Also there is no way I will be testing at any height if I’m not 100% happy that it is working properly. 
What do most people these days use for there flip lines as I’ve only ever used wirecore lines?
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, noidea said:

Thanks for the reply’s didn’t expect it end up like this. 

All advice is welcome. 
I have used the grab before on an older flip line and always found it worked great that’s why I was surprised when putting this one together. 
I have loaded the grab at it still slips, I’m going to contact the shop and the manufacturer for advice. 
Also there is no way I will be testing at any height if I’m not 100% happy that it is working properly. 
What do most people these days use for there flip lines as I’ve only ever used wirecore lines?
 

Are you sure your old flip line was not slightly small diameter?? Measure them with a vernier caliper and see.. I am sure you will find the old one was a bit smaller, if only a little bit..

 

I would not worry too much about what the shop or anyone else thinks, "experts" or otherwise..

 

You have satisfied yourself that something is not right so go with what YOU think.. You are the one going up the tree and if you do not feel 100% happy about it, then do not do it..

 

As for the genius on here that previously suggested that, and i quote:

 

"You’ll get the feel of it when you’re in your harness as you’ll not be on full weight against it using it as a flip line"

 

That has to be dullest thing i have ever read from someone that, judging from their previous comments [addressed to me] seems to think they know it all. Why do i say that??

 

Because your FULL weight [and more] will be on it the first time you gaff out..

 

Have a measure and post back..

 

john..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for the reply’s didn’t expect it end up like this. 
All advice is welcome. 
I have used the grab before on an older flip line and always found it worked great that’s why I was surprised when putting this one together. 
I have loaded the grab at it still slips, I’m going to contact the shop and the manufacturer for advice. 
Also there is no way I will be testing at any height if I’m not 100% happy that it is working properly. 
What do most people these days use for there flip lines as I’ve only ever used wirecore lines?
 


Haven’t done any climbing for a while but when I did, I used a VT hitch with a hitch climber pulley and a short dyneema soft link. A W/c flip line is the only application I don’t mind using a simple prussic on, for ease and simplicity as the adjustments you make are relatively small.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for the reply’s 

 

John annoyingly don’t have the old one currently but hopefully I can get it next week and and measure it so I can compare the two as I never had any of these issues with that one. 
 

Mick I can confirm it still works if the wire is broken as it went on my old one and that worked fine. 
When I put weight on the cam does work better but now and again it still is slipping which isn’t ideal. 
 

Timon thanks for sharing your set up. The reason I got the grab was I had found it before to be easy sadly this one isn’t playing ball!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, noidea said:

Thanks for the reply’s 

 

John annoyingly don’t have the old one currently but hopefully I can get it next week and and measure it so I can compare the two as I never had any of these issues with that one. 
 

Mick I can confirm it still works if the wire is broken as it went on my old one and that worked fine. 
When I put weight on the cam does work better but now and again it still is slipping which isn’t ideal. 
 

Timon thanks for sharing your set up. The reason I got the grab was I had found it before to be easy sadly this one isn’t playing ball!

Hi There,

 

Yes, when you get the old one, measure it and post back, will be very interested to find out... My steel flipline is 11mm diameter, and i never had a problem at all, but it DID feel like the grab was reaching its limits diameter wise. I swapped it for a Prusik then, which is a LOT less convenient, but what price peace of mind..

 

john..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, john87 said:

Hi There,

 

Yes, when you get the old one, measure it and post back, will be very interested to find out... My steel flipline is 11mm diameter, and i never had a problem at all, but it DID feel like the grab was reaching its limits diameter wise. I swapped it for a Prusik then, which is a LOT less convenient, but what price peace of mind..

 

john..

What diameter range did the manufacturer specify for your grab - never seen one that maxed out at 11mm before …. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


  •  

  • Featured Adverts

  • Tip site reviews

About

Arbtalk.co.uk is a hub for the arboriculture industry in the UK.  
If you're just starting out and you need business, equipment, tech or training support you're in the right place.  If you've done it, made it, got a van load of oily t-shirts and have decided to give something back by sharing your knowledge or wisdom,  then you're welcome too.
If you would like to contribute to making this industry more effective and safe then welcome.
Just like a living tree, it'll always be a work in progress.
Please have a look around, sign up, share and contribute the best you have.

See you inside.

The Arbtalk Team

Follow us

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.