Work related chat

Jack.P

17 minutes ago, spuddog0507 said:

I dont know about a site full of pissed up Paddys ? at least they wernt of there tits on weed ? i can only remember Paddy with a drink problem and he got nowt right till 10olock when until he had had his 4 cans of Export after that he was fine, as Skyhuck says they where mostly self employed lads on Piece rate and it had to be right or it didnt get signed off which equalled no pay till it was done right. what we have to remember is these lads on the tools where taught there trade either as a apprentice or by hands on, Then the foreman on these sites was generally 50+ but he had probably spent 30-35yrs on the tools his self before getting the foremans job and you could not hide anything from em, not like todays foreman/site suppviser who is fresh out of collage with a certificate to say he can do it ? and back then there was no Facbook , whatsapp or mobile phones to piss about on all you did was work and if you needed to make a phone call you went to the site office, it is much much different today ,sorry,  

That's probably because there wasn't sites full of pissed up Irish lads, there was lads from all over, but I don't remember many of them being pissed on site.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

That's probably because there wasn't sites full of pissed up Irish lads, there was lads from all over, but I don't remember many of them being pissed on site.

Nor me only the one i mentioned and he was only on a brush, shovel and a barrow tidying up, and yes lads from all over the country,

Back in the day my mate ( now dead ) said he was " on the lump " in the building trade . I believe this is an un proved fallacy . He was getting £30 a day when I was getting £30 a week .

Edited by Stubby

1 hour ago, Stubby said:

Back in the day my mate ( now dead ) said he was " on the lump " in the building trade . I believe this is an un proved fallacy . He was getting £30 a day when I was getting £30 a week .

Working 'on the lump' meant getting paid as a subby but not paying any tax. Site lads shot themselves in the foot on that one... when CIS was introduced.

Edited by eggsarascal
  • Like 1

On 14/08/2021 at 18:03, spuddog0507 said:

Back to the Wimpey sites, we where mainly 16/17 years olds at the time and to be sat in the Paddy hut at brew time we got ripped to bits 3 times a day every day but we stuck it out for 3 years till the site was finished, F - - - - - g good times tho,

bet the same ones ripping you would be first ones to jump to your defence as well.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, donnk said:

bet the same ones ripping you would be first ones to jump to your defence as well.

Yes all good lads to work with and no harm intended and yes every one looked out for each other, there was a plumber who was and every one thought he was a arsehole and so full of him self had a do at the old Irish lad with the barrow brush n shovel as mentioned above, a lad called paul a cockney chippy went to sort this plumber out and while he was talking to him inside some other lads emptied his van and buried his kit hence we didnt see him again but the old Irish lad was salt of the earth and would not do any one any harm to any one,  

• Like 1