Getting rid of ivy!!

john87

Mick. Please let us know your qualifications. I confess to being amateur but one with sound scientific background and familiarity with interpretation of data. I want to be able to trust my information so accept what  you say. I am a new observer but one with a fresh pair of eyes. We have a problem in this location with ivy and need to define the level of threat before it overtakes our ability to combat it. Hopefully its not too late. We can work together to handle this. But we need facts. Not opinions. Do you agree?

2 hours ago, Mick Dempsey said:

It competes with trees for resources and light, lower down.

It has done for millennia.
But it won’t kill a healthy tree, like I said, look at an ivy covered tree, it never engulfs the crown, it sits just beneath, how it knows I don’t know.

I know of a small one, only about 12 foot high and it looks to have covered the lot, but perhaps ivy only grows to a certain height, maybe 25 foot or so?? No idea really

john..

Tree diseases are just one aspect of this. The problem as I see it comes with ivy growth so fast and vigorous that it starts to overwhelm the tree’s ability to bear the weight and grow normally. Extreme examples which reduce  light acquisition will inevitably reduce photosynthesis. 
But the real physical issue is reduced resistance to strong winds. 
There are many examples of heavily affected trees where the ivy acts as a sail in winter when trees are dormant and winds are strongest. As uncleared lower growth becomes saturated with ivy the trees grow thinner and taller. Less able to tolerate the sail effects of canopy growth of ivy. 
So many hedges show blown over shrubs and trees covered with ivy. 
here are other images. 
I cannot be alone to notice this. 
I believe this issue is escalating due to climate and changed attitudes to countryside husbandry. Recognising the problem is the first step towards addressing the issue and taking steps to prevent a catastrophe for our countryside trees and hedgerows. 

57C56BF6-9BBD-472B-8A7C-24B1CB65E03C.jpeg

36693739-1FC1-4A73-8D17-7AA2FED64A39.jpeg

26D31396-F2D3-40B6-957B-2D6C6BF15A2D.jpeg

A251DDBC-7907-4B9B-A285-87802EB2C24E.jpeg

• Like 1