Wounded Hand

Billhook

6 hours ago, Con said:

I was working on my bike about 15 years ago. Got a metal burr. Similar entry wound and it then migrated a similar distance over about a week. Go over any stiles, barbed wire etc?

No time for that to happen I would think as the itching started soon after I saw the nick with the blood.  Also no wire around

no blackthorn, no hogweed, some figwort but that is meant to be medicinal and used to cure scrophula or tuberculosis, hence its Latin name.  

A lot of fuss about nothing really but I was just interested to know if there was an insect that could anaesthetise the skin before depositing an egg.   Anyway I will let you know if I have an alien popping out or you will hear about it on the news!

• Like 1

I take it not a tick bite and u knocked it off, not a classic sign off Lyme's Disease might be worth a Google on Lyme Disease action or bada sites.

Always worth knowing the symptoms of Lyme disease and proper ways to remove ticks ( not lighter, fingers or vaseline)

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Ty Korrigan said:

I often get bitten cutting cypress or thuya hedges. 

Itchy hard lump that persists for a couple of weeks.

Could it be a spider?

Two puncture marks.

Stuart

I was once driving my car when I felt something on my eyebrow, just a feather like touch.  I raised my hand to brush it gently away and the terrible , blinding pain which followed caused me to swerve onto the verge and stop.  Luckily it was a minor road with no traffic.  I jumped out of the car expecting to find a wasp but nothing, no buzzing ,no insect but I did have two puncture marks on my eyebrow so I concluded that it was a spider.  Took ages to heal.

8 hours ago, drinksloe said:

I take it not a tick bite and u knocked it off, not a classic sign off Lyme's Disease might be worth a Google on Lyme Disease action or bada sites.

Always worth knowing the symptoms of Lyme disease and proper ways to remove ticks ( not lighter, fingers or vaseline)

I am familiar with ticks so I do not think so.  I would not be carrying on about this if it was not for the second lump appearing at the same time with different symptoms.  The first wound was clear neat and the blood was clean and there was no pain ,swelling or redness.  I was only aware of it visually. It scabbed then healed

The second one I became aware of only when it started itching.  There was no central point or bite mark and the skin was intact.  Over the next few hours and area the size of a 5 p coin became raised and hard  Nothing scabbed or burst and both have healed now.

All this is good practice for the time when we can never see a doctor again and all consultations are done over the web!!

2 hours ago, Billhook said:

All this is good practice for the time when we can never see a doctor again and all consultations are done over the web!!

….… and they'll probably be just as clear in their diagnoses as we are so far on this thread !!!

My best guess is a horsefly.  Perhaps not the 'normal' sized version but maybe one of the bigger ones.  They land super lightly, you often don't even feel the bite and are renowned for 'cutting' into you rather than a bite as such.  Also you may want to do a quick search on Horsefly bite cellulitis for an explanation of the lump and continued itching.

Regulars on here may recall me whining about being stung by a hornet a few years ago.  It still itches occasionally and I have a permanent lump a couple of mm under the skin about the size of a lemon pip.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ABtrees said:

….… and they'll probably be just as clear in their diagnoses as we are so far on this thread !!!

My best guess is a horsefly.  Perhaps not the 'normal' sized version but maybe one of the bigger ones.  They land super lightly, you often don't even feel the bite and are renowned for 'cutting' into you rather than a bite as such.  Also you may want to do a quick search on Horsefly bite cellulitis for an explanation of the lump and continued itching.

Regulars on here may recall me whining about being stung by a hornet a few years ago.  It still itches occasionally and I have a permanent lump a couple of mm under the skin about the size of a lemon pip.

Very good call!  My father was a keen entomologist and lepidopterist and had a large collection of horse flies,  His favourite was Chrysops which is also known as a Deer Fly   Beautiful colouring and eyes.  Generally they buzz you first to test your response and then switch to stealth mode as you say  Could be but I could not think it had the time from my short walk from the car to the bench.

EN.WIKIPEDIA.ORG

On the subject of Hornets, he was always fascinated by them.  Again at the lakeside I had chainsawed a seat from a large whole log, leaving most of the log intact.  It rotted in the middle over the years and one year a woman friend was sitting there while her dog was let loose.   It started to burrow at one end of the log, hornets appeared in the air and started squirting venom which is really time to run as the whole nest becomes animated!  The dog was stung several times and the woman once on her head.  Father showed little compassion when she came up to the house and wanted to examine her head for the wound where he found as he expected a slash left by the sting.

He though that the actual sting was not much more venomous than a wasp sting but that it was the slash that really made it hurt.

The Hornets are generally quite passive compared to Wasps except when provoked.  Father had a friend who would rehome Hornets nests from people houses and would carry them down without protection.  He used to say it was fine if you did not bump into anything on the way down!

I was not convinced of his story and a couple of years ago we had another Hornets nest in a pallet box of wood again by the lake near the cabin.  I thought that I would move it away with the Teleporter into the nearby wood.  I sealed the doors and every hole with duct tape and very very gently pushed the forks under the box.  No reaction from the Hornets.

So I waited a bit longer and ever so gently lifted the boom and the box but they were not having that and a cloud of Hornets appeared very agitated.   Interestingly none came for the cab or tried to come in.

I took the box to the wood but none followed and they stayed around the cabin eventually starting a new nest underneath.

I do feel that they are beneficial insect and loathe to kill them but I could not have them there with children and dogs around so I gave them a second chance.

Wasp killing powder is high in pyrethroid but ant powder only has a few percent.  I sprinkled a small amount at the entrance to where they were going in and the result was they all disappeared the next day and there was not one dead one.

• Like 4