Defender tipper Wanted.

Aisakelly

I have a TD5 90 that's not for arb work. If you're good with fixing things and you know your way around a socket set then get one. If you have to get the garage to do all the work then you're setting yourself up for some big bills. 

They're built like an old lorry which is solid BUT there's a lot of servicing and maintenance to do. Engine oil, Gearbox oil, transfer box, both axles, fuel filters, multiple oil filters, greasing driveshafts, steering linkages etc every year. What would be one rubber bush on a car will be about 6 on a defender, I just polybushed all the ones on the td5. Even simple stuff like wheel bearings, you can change one on a ford focus in about 20 minutes if you have the tool. A defender is multiple seals and setting torques and free play etc. Don't get me started on rust, i put a new rear cross member and repaired the bulkhead last year, same with the door slam panels and the battery tray. 

All I'm saying is if you don't love defenders, their heritage and what they are then don't buy one and get something jap. If you love tinkering and forming a bond with a car then get a defender.

• Like 2

If you can put up with the steering wheel not being square to the seat, banging your elbow on the door, getting wet in the rain (window open or shut) then go for it. 

once you have over come those issues then comes the fact something is always falling off ( parts are cheaper than jap stuff but you will need far more of them)

rust will be more of a issue than modern jap stuff.

they handle like a hippo on roller skates when loaded

but all that said on the plus side you can fix most stuff on them with an adjustable spanner and a lump hammer! And they are kind of cool

Edited by Will C
Fat fingers

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 130 crew cab tipper, it's my 3rd one. I had the last one for 12 years. I get a good load of chip in mine and have plenary of top sites. Transits May get plenty of chip in but won't be legal driving full or towing I suspect. I have updated suspension and air bags on the rear, updated anti roll bar. It's perfect for what I need for my business, I can get it in where transits and the likes won't go.. Let the haters hate.IMG_1126.jpg

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Hodge said:

I have a 130 crew cab tipper, it's my 3rd one. I had the last one for 12 years. I get a good load of chip in mine and have plenary of top sites. Transits May get plenty of chip in but won't be legal driving full or towing I suspect. I have updated suspension and air bags on the rear, updated anti roll bar. It's perfect for what I need for my business, I can get it in where transits and the likes won't go.. Let the haters hate.IMG_1126.jpg

Out of interest, you say about the weights etc. Have you had it weighed? I'd be curious to know what weight you can carry as all that mass is over the rear axle and you have the nose weight of the trailer too. I bet fully loaded with a trailer the front gets a little skiddy? IIRC the 130 is only rated to 3380 with 2200kg on the rear axle? 

Edited by Paddy1000111

9 minutes ago, Hodge said:

Good to read you again Paul!

Out of interest, you say about the weights etc. Have you had it weighed? I'd be curious to know what weight you can carry as all that mass is over the rear axle and you have the nose weight of the trailer too. I bet fully loaded with a trailer the front gets a little skiddy? IIRC the 130 is only rated to 3380 with 2200kg on the rear axle? 

I get what you are saying and I haven't to be honest but I don't tow with it full, I go to tip before towing the trailer. I will get it weighed when full as I'm curious too. [emoji106]
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Hodge said:

I get what you are saying and I haven't to be honest but I don't tow with it full, I go to tip before towing the trailer. I will get it weighed when full as I'm curious too. emoji106.png

I weighed my transit and it's 2650 with no kit or crew. It's surprising how weight just appears! I imagine you're probably over on the rear axle as that box sits quite far back but defenders are usually light anyway

Ok, as nothing else is going on I’ll bite.

The problem with them is lack of capacity, they don’t hold half as much as a cheap transit, this costs you time and money. Fully laden they’re like driving a boat, I know springs and stuff helps but the narrowness of the chassis and single rear wheels means they’re not happy with lots on the rear compared to a dedicated 3.5tonner.
The unreliability is a factor of course but I’m not going into that.
They're expensive to buy/convert, you could get a decent transit/cab star whatever and still have change for a 4wd to take your chipper off road if needs be, or even a little wheeled loader to drag stuff/move the chipper.
If you are going off road you can just blow the chips in the woods anyway.

Having said that I’m taking delivery of a Def next week that’ll be a tow tug and Fanny Magnet. But I’d never rely on one for my business, I’ll keep the Ranger.
D2DED867-1B7C-4C31-9CDA-8E821D24C259.thumb.jpeg.99d1da614a4902e0414c883e61f4327a.jpeg
Mick! Always there to call the chip capacity! But it's true! The most important thing for efficiency is how much you can get on - surely you can do without another run to the bstard tip site.

Yeah god knows why people buy these defenders for arb. For some reason they are awesome, and you totally love them, and they look wicked - but Christ the cab space, and the feeling like it'll tip over on a bend when it's full, and the maintenance, and the turning circle, and the mileage. Experience with the defender - worst most awesome truck ever.

Mark 4 hilux. No pain. Always there for you. Never let me down.
  • Like 1