Barber Chair

gobbypunk

Si I haven't been in the woods felling trees hardly at all since my broken ankle and today was talking down 2 Ash trees about 14/16inch diameter both leaning didn't think just cracked on next thing barbours chair is a letter box cut the best way to deal with a leaning tree to avoid this next time

Thanks Mark

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, gobbypunk said:

Si I haven't been in the woods felling trees hardly at all since my broken ankle and today was talking down 2 Ash trees about 14/16inch diameter both leaning didn't think just cracked on next thing barbours chair is a letter box cut the best way to deal with a leaning tree to avoid this next time

Thanks Mark

I assume this was meant as a PM? :D

The internets is a tricky thing to master, huh? 

The problem is with a tree so small u don't have a massive ammount of room for any fancy cuts. Esp depending wot size of bar ur using.

On bigger stuff ud use a holding cut ( dogs tooth) and letterboxing hinge will help.

On smaller stuff like that I'd probably use a T cut, normal gub/hinge but do back cut in 3 stages the 2 sides first and leave a strap in the centre.

Another version of that is put 2 diagonal back cuts in either side 1st  then put it final back cut in

Or possibly an oversized gub, althou runs the risk of nipping bar.

But it would depend on each tree, species and lean, good escape routes etc, which cut I used

• Like 1

Even at 16 inch u don't have all that much room, if using a 3/8ths bar be 4" ish, by time u got it gub + hinge + tag at back, easy enough for an inexperienced cutter to bore throu 1  side of hinge, esp if they are too busy concentrating on tag at back. And that could be dodgy if hinge cut on 1 side.

In smaller timber and using a boring cut I use a smaller/shallower gub to give me more room behind it

Deeper gub and power throu back cut is simple enough too.

Quite a few different ways u could do it safely, Vancouver v another easy cut which suits smaller timber.

• Like 1