Cheapest place to get Distel Geckos and what spikes?

Paddy1000111

I've been climbing on a set of kleins with long and short gaffs. I find the short ones are too short and gaff out on anything but beech and the long ones bury themselves so deep into softwood that I have to give it a wiggle to get it out, even though I am gently stepping into them not stomping into the tree so I am after a set of aluminium Geckos. I've done my web searching and found the cheapest place is £294 incl. Anyone know of any other deals? I've bought stuff before then found out I could have saved £30 by asking on here first. 

Also, what gaffs are people running? I feel like I might try Euro but what are peoples experiences? Velcro vs leather too? I assume leather lasts longer? I feel Velcro goes soft after a few months? 

Edited by Paddy1000111

2 hours ago, Steve Bullman said:

Your gaffing out is due to your style rather than the gaffs. You need to learn to angle your legs in a bit. Probably why my hips are so knackered. The euro gaffs I suppose alleviate the need for that but they are bloody horrible to use 

To be fair, the only time I really gaffed out was using them with pole gaffs on a turkey oak and some western hemlock. I appreciate what you're saying though and I doubt my technique is perfect! 😂 My main issue with them is the pad has rubbed the crap out of my leg, mainly due to me not getting the foot strap tight enough but also because the pad is quite thin. It rubbed one side raw and bruised the other where the pad sits. I wanted to go for the bigger, more comfortable pads but they're about £150 delivered which seems excessive! 

I don't mind the length of the long gaffs, I just find that even if I gently step into them they bury themselves so deep in the tree that I have to give it a wiggle on each step. I've used distel geckos before and liked them but it was up a beech with short gaffs so I was wondering about the best "all rounders" were. I quite liked the look of the euro spikes because they look like they wouldn't bury themselves so deep?

Euro gaffs are awful. If you think you're gaffing out now be prepared for a shocker with those. 

I switched from alloy distels with velcro to the new distel carbon click ones last year and they're worth the extra imo. Never liked the velcro, and always found the tension on leather straps a bit 'all or nothing' the clicks are perfect.

Had my alloy ones ten years and they were fine, but everything about the new carbon ones is better so far. 

I have them fitted about an inch below the knee but I have bruising half way up my shin. I'm sure it's 50/50 bad fit and technique but I found the distels so much more comfortable. I'm not sure about the "click" ones as I like to really wrench in the foot loops and I can't see me being able to clip those in tight enough? 

Maybe I'll order the velcro/leather with American (pole) gaffs and see how I get on!