only getting £40 per day

robertcrisp

at the end of the day the boss is going to pay you as little as he thinks he can get away with.

one of my guys grumbles about his wage and all i say is 'if you would like i will pay you £1000 a week but your only have a job for 2 weeks'

shuts them up

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a difference between someone working for a living wage, looking for around the 70quid/day mark, and someone on work placement from college. The lad who comes with us on placement gets 40 a day, but fuel saw and ppe is all supplied. When his scooter breaks down, he is picked up from home and dropped off at night. We have him dragging brash, raking, fetching, carrying and so on, not to put him in his place, but its cheaper for him to fetch and carry than one of us. He gets to cut logs, when there is time to supervise him adequately, and fell trees. We are quite strict with him, we dont mince our words, but this is because we feel he has the potential to be good in the future. So I think 40quid a day for placement is about right.

i would say 40quid a day is more than enough for a placement maybe not useing your own fuel and oil is abit cheeky, but like all others have said just head down and show them what you can do. i started on 20quid a day when i had a placement 4 years ago, just got to bite the bullet and enjoy it best of luck. :thumbup1:

I think you're doing ok there chap. One company I work for give me £50 a day and I've got 30,31,38&39, my own PPE, climbing gear, ground saw and 200t, use all my own fuel and oil(they use it to because they keep forgetting to buy their own), get to work early to load the van so we can make the most of the day, work like mad all day, sometimes without dinner, take their saws home to sharpen them cos half the time they're blunt and I've even found jobs for them too and still get the same. I do think deep down it's taking the Mick a little but I know it won't be forever and it's far better than sitting at home wishing I was out in the trees. Don't know about you but I wake up every morning over the moon that I'm going out to do this job, love it! And that's better than a lot of people can say about their jobs, most of my friends hate theirs.

when i left school in 1985 i got on a YTS scheme for motor vehicle, i was on 17.50 for the first year, my second year i got 26.50, i had a job and was learning, sure i thought i should have got more but thats life and thats something called being an apprentice. The lads these days want everything now, the lad that works with me is 18, he got 30/31 and medium trees and windblown all paid for by the tax payer, and no experience he has trouble sharpening a saw, doesnt drive, doesnt know how to tidy up properly and thinks he should get paid the same as someone with years of knowledge.

and experience. I once got a climber in, he had all the gear and tickets, and it took him 45 mins to set his rope, 30 mins to climb the tree, it was only a 40 ft sycamore, and when asked to branch walk to prune a tip, he replied, "sorry i cant do that" WTF. they give tickets away these days. you gotta keep your head down and do the job the best you can.

how i see it i got my cs30/31 just the same as another bloke there and he on about £100 plus for every tree i cut down and cut up he makes money so he quids in

Please!!! stop thinking like this!!:thumbdown: if you don't you will spend the rest of your employed life bitter and resentfully.

You could argue that by letting you cut down some of his trees he's letting you earn some of his money. He could just do them all him self.

I presume he is a success, so he is allowing you to learn some of the things that make him a success.

He's training what could soon turn into the competition.

If you cock up, it will be his problem not yours.

Its his reputation and advertising thats bringing in the work.

I don't take on placement lads, as they really won't make me any money and I don't need the hassle.

I think the lads that get a placement should try and see things from the Co owners point of view and show a little more appreciation for the fact that some are happy to give you a way into the industry.

I think the lads that get a placement should try and see things from the Co owners point of view and show a little more appreciation for the fact that some are happy to give you a way into the industry.

It comes down to the individual, that is a very sweeping statement. Someone like this lad here has the wrong attitude from the get go. Not all young lads are like that. (Or girls !!) :thumbup:

Please!!! stop thinking like this!!:thumbdown: if you don't you will spend the rest of your employed life bitter and resentfully.

You could argue that by letting you cut down some of his trees he's letting you earn some of his money. He could just do them all him self.

I presume he is a success, so he is allowing you to learn some of the things that make him a success.

He's training what could soon turn into the competition.

If you cock up, it will be his problem not yours.

Its his reputation and advertising thats bringing in the work.

I don't take on placement lads, as they really won't make me any money and I don't need the hassle.

well said :thumbup1: