Ash felling over the top or safety

essential

9 minutes ago, benedmonds said:

No. I tell them the advice is not currently to pre-emptively fell ash trees, but if they have large ash trees with no mewp access, they should think carefully before spending lots on other works such as reducing them and that if the ash trees do show signs of ADB then they should act sooner rather then later.

Fair enough. But that’s not what your earlier post said.

2 years ago we had no Ash dieback locally in the North West UK, now it is in 90% of the Ash I see and also within masses of regrowth young trees, all showing diamond lesions.

I wonder if many Council Tree Officers are still TPOing them?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, benedmonds said:

No. I tell them the advice is not currently to pre-emptively fell ash trees, but if they have large ash trees with no mewp access, they should think carefully before spending lots on other works such as reducing them and that if the ash trees do show signs of ADB then they should act sooner rather then later.

That's exactly what we do.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, skyhuck said:

Valuable contribution, on what evidence do you make that claim?

Having spent the majority of the last 5 years dealing predominantly with ADB in Sussex/Kent on large estates, Woodland Trust, RSPB and FC sites. Also doing extensive research planting Ash from all over the world in controlled experimental blocks for the FC. What is your experience of dealing with large scale ADB @skyhuck , perhaps you could share your findings and help educate others on the problems and hazards associated?

Edited by 5thelement

Can we try and keep the discussion friendly.. We might disagree but the Facebook style abuse will kill any useful discussion..  It is very easy to respond with a pithy oneliner/insult. Difficult not to respond when someone is abusive, but please let's be constructive.. 

There are different views and people have had widely different experience with ADB as it moves into areas. 

I have seen trees go from looking not quite right but ok to climb, to there is no way I am putting a climber in that in 2 years. 

The rapid decline of ash and the state of dead trees is something we need to be aware of.  There is a reason that stupid groundsman armour was invented.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 5

1 hour ago, benedmonds said:

Can we try and keep the discussion friendly.. We might disagree but the Facebook style abuse will kill any useful discussion..  It is very easy to respond with a pithy oneliner/insult. Difficult not to respond when someone is abusive, but please let's be constructive.. 

There are different views and people have had widely different experience with ADB as it moves into areas. 

I have seen trees go from looking not quite right but ok to climb, to there is no way I am putting a climber in that in 2 years. 

The rapid decline of ash and the state of dead trees is something we need to be aware of.  There is a reason that stupid groundsman armour was invented.

I worked a large Ash plantation on the South Downs (SSSI). Spec was a 30% thin, to be completed over two Winters.

By the second Winter the ADB was so extensive and the trees  in such poor state that Natural England proposed a clear fell to all Ash on site unless they where maidens showing no signs of ADB.

The level of  basal decay present was shocking., the heads exploding on impact.

Depending on your geographical location, Ash will have been one of the mainstays of the Forestry hand cutter, sawlogs or firewood, great timber and kept you sharp.
The decline of Ash is tragic, and I don’t know any hand cutter or contractor who looks at it any other way, no one I know is raping Ash and they certainly don’t see it as a cash cow.

• Like 1

Sort of off topic, but out of interest, would the saplings or standard planting size trees from nursery's of common Ash currently on sale be resilient  to ADB? 

Or are newly planted Ash just a susceptible? I think what I'm trying to say is there a variant that could now be planted that is resistant to Chalara? Sorry if it's a stupid question 🤪