Another Rant - The Pricing Stupid

TimberCutterDartmoor

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Then id want alot more than £50 still, Id want more than that for straight felling a tree!!!

You must be making some good money- 50 quid to stop by on the way back from another job and drop one tree safely and easily sounds good to me. Some of the threads on this site are talking about forest work paying 60-100 quid a day for hard graft and your turning down 50 for 15mins easy work:confused1:

You must be making some good money- 50 quid to stop by on the way back from another job and drop one tree safely and easily sounds good to me. Some of the threads on this site are talking about forest work paying 60-100 quid a day for hard graft and your turning down 50 for 15mins easy work:confused1:

That was my thought.

Plus on reading about the £5-8 per tree for forestry felling it sounds ok to me.

I have been quoted £40 to drop a large ash tree into a field by a proffessional tree surgeon and when I commented that it seemed cheap he said `its only three cuts` top man :thumbup:

thud replied on 19/01/2010 at 18:28

e-mail thud

You can cut any size tree with any size bar if you are willing to take it apart by hacking chunks off. There are plenty of web resources for cutting down trees, how to deal with hung up trees, how to cut slice one into logs etc.

· Reply...

Thats frightening!

I have been quoted £40 to drop a large ash tree into a field by a proffessional tree surgeon and when I commented that it seemed cheap he said `its only three cuts` top man :thumbup:

Was he happy to just drop it and walk??

I did on for a guy I sort of know, it was a big old Ash, pretty much dead (water logged roots), it was very slightly weighted away from his garden and house. I was a straight fell, but needed to be cut properly with a big gob.

I was not prepared to leave it for him to break down the crown, I cut every thing so it was sat flat on the floor.

I did not want him getting hurt.:thumbdown:

Had a coffee with him, whole job took around half an hour (including sharpening my saw)

Charged him £100, he was more than happy :001_smile:

I wonder how many of you who are criticising Mozza for his post, actually deal with the public, taking calls and doing quotes. Or run a tree business.

2 points. (the first being reason enough on its own, to give the guy, a ‘see ya later’)

1) It is unreasonable for Mozza to be asked to give a price without seeing the job. I wouldn’t do it and no matter what the client said the other quote was £50 or £500, I would not comment without assessing it for myself. The client asked him if he could beat £50, over the phone without seeing the job. I would not be able to give an answer, doesn’t matter – “what if” , this or that – you have to see the job.

2) My costs for being a tree business are 1/3 of turnover and that’s low, you couldn’t do it with less gear than I do, smaller adverts etc. So the money on this at £50 is £33.50 for me (working alone) . Other tree surgeons I know of have overheads at over 60% of turnover so for them there’s about £20 on it at that price.

So the criticisers here on the info available expect mozza to go find the address, park up, get the saw out, go fell an 80ft tree, and just leave it (Best case scenario).

He’s got to beat the £50 quote so lets say he won the job sight unseen for £40. So 60% (assuming two people on site) of £40 is £24 leaving a profit of £16.

Lets say all jobs were like this – How many would you have to do in a day to make two people a living wage? – I would suggest – Ten such jobs would give you £80 each.

Regardless of what i earn, If someone rings up asking me to beat £50 over the phone, Im already smelling a rat, They want it extremely cheap and will probably be the type of person to want alot more off you once your there!

Plus i agree with Skyhuck, If ever just dropped a decent size tree, I couldnt just do 3 cuts and leave it, Id want to leave it safe, which in turn would mean spending a little bit of time snedding it up, so it didnt roll on whoever was clearing it up :thumbup1:

There are many reasons why i didnt even go and look at the tree, Plus im very busy at the monent and im making a good name for myself, All the people who want something for nothing, Can ring Bodgit and scarper, with no insurance and pay them peanuts!!