550xp mkii running on

stewmo

How have you done the clutch up? You really need to use a rattle gun and hex type tool or to lock the piston in place and use the hex tool again and a socket wrench.

If it is just spun on, if you fire the machine up, the clutch will try to spin off as the engine spools down messing up the mesh between the pinion and the clutch drum.

You can overcome this by slamming on the chain break as soon as the saw starts and revs up for the very first time as it does the clutch up.

• Like 1

How have you done the clutch up? You really need to use a rattle gun and hex type tool or to lock the piston in place and use the hex tool again and a socket wrench.
If it is just spun on, if you fire the machine up, the clutch will try to spin off as the engine spools down messing up the mesh between the pinion and the clutch drum.
You can overcome this by slamming on the chain break as soon as the saw starts and revs up for the very first time as it does the clutch up.

Yeah I used a hex and a spanner. I had to buy hex as couldn’t shift the clutch last time I changed the needle bearing. Works much better!
Will do the chain break technique as well.

Thanks everyone. Hopefully up and running again :)
  • Like 2

As much as I am going to hate saying this but you should not use an impact gun to tighten the clutch, there is always a chance if you are too over zealous you can shear the flywheel key other side, stick to running up and knock the brake on a couple of times, ok I am ready for the flack.