At work today

gary112

1 minute ago, Mark Bolam said:

And that is how green energy works.

Let’s **************** up some trees!

Not a pop at the lads doing the work, I’d take the coin same as them.

Funny old world we’re in though.

That's the sentiment on site Mark, not very proud of the work and things like that Beech feel ridiculous to do, but that's the job.

It is a thought, we're doing this butchery so that turbines made in Holland can be brought on 5 oversize trucks per turbine to Scotland for green energy.

Wonder how long a turbine has to operate before it makes up for the energy cost of its own installation.

• Like 8

11 minutes ago, Stere said:

Blades can't be recycled apparently due to the composite material they all go to landfill.

How can companies recycle wind turbine blades?

I reckon in 5 to 10 years they will all be recycled 

WWW.SIEMENSGAMESA.COM

Wind power is one of the cornerstones in the quest to tackle the climate emergency. With more than 200 GW of new offshore capacity projected by the Global Wind Energy Council to be...

... which should have an effect on everything else that uses fibreglass being recyclable too

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Had that Friday feeling today and we've had a productive week, so I organised the inaugural Cone Curling Championship at lunchtime.

The rules:

1 curl per entrant.

Cone must be curled from behind the stop/go board.

Cone must be upright after the curl to qualify.

Cone must not touch target (15mph sign).

Closest to target wins.

Prize was the first note picked randomly from my wallet (containing a selection of twenty, ten or five).

It was all taken very seriously and there had to be some adjudication by myself to prevent an argument over an inch or so, but all agreed in the end it was a great sporting event.

DSC_0061.thumb.JPG.9c0a9449051430ae739fe65edcd83ff4.JPG

DSC_0063.thumb.JPG.e313a0af5e3f37ef3e3598276592c3eb.JPG

DSC_0065.thumb.JPG.c1dd6d4b36223acdf5652a9882037041.JPG

After an extremely close finish, the winning cone was 5.5" from the target, thrown by our Cone Curling Champion of 2023, Craig! Who proudly plucked his prize of £5 from my wallet, congratulations Craig (but remember, you're only as good as your last curl!).

DSC_0067.thumb.JPG.f8da65520c85a7158c518769a7710dbd.JPG

• Like 10
  • Haha 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Uncovered an interesting old wrought iron railing today while clearing Ivy and Leylandii from a forgotten property for the new owners. It's believed the fence avoided requesition during the war due to the house having links with the church.

The house has a stone carving saying it was built in 1881 "To The Glory of God". We thought the railing was of that time too but discovered an entrance gate with a cast plaque sign attached.

DSC_0190.thumb.JPG.cd23e4331013635d366fb4a93afd4390.JPG

DSC_0191.thumb.JPG.07c943ac819089793d6f7b6876e74d75.JPG

DSC_0189.thumb.JPG.bfac460e87c0a632bc04410a4b464780.JPG

DSC_0186.thumb.JPG.97156005c20d25f5aac6fe2822546e11.JPG

The plaque reads...

"Beware of the Dog. As from 1st May 1864 Sir John Rumblelow will not be held responsible for trespassers attacked beyond this point"

Wonder how many were attacked before he had the sign made!

• Like 9
  • Haha 1