Well it Was Bound To Happen.!!!

5 shires

11 hours ago, Johnsond said:

Yeah but what is defined as rich ?? Under SNP if you earn over 43350 you are as is often referenced by sturgeons cronies as the wealthy whom can afford to pay more. The 40/41% tax brackets are a total joke. I’ve had zero assistance off anyone since the beginning of this and have just paid 19-20 self employed tax bill, I’ve managed to get the payment on account dropped but still got hit big time especially seeing as I’m on 30-35% up y to now  for 20-21 compared to 19-20. 

I'm thinking of the super rich like those in my post. If I had say £10 mil in the bank I would care not a jot if I had to take a hit for the next 5 years.

10 hours ago, Mesterh said:

I'm thinking of the super rich like those in my post. If I had say £10 mil in the bank I would care not a jot if I had to take a hit for the next 5 years.

That's wealthy but by no means super rich. We need wealthy people to occupy the posh homes, else they end up preserved in aspic by the NT and no use for much, and buy the new cars which then become second-hand and affordable usw.

The super rich have billions and often don't benefit an economy because it goes offshore. Also they can avoid  tax to some, often large, extent.

Our current system is based on the idea everyone can make their own decisions on how to spend and make money. Government takes a massive amount from every person earning money, in income tax ( which major contribution comes from those on PAYE and earning over £40k/annum),  VAT, rates, car tax etc, and this gets spent on running the counry and making politicians above averagely wealthy but the money they spend is largely recirculated within the economy. We have a limited say in how we allow government to spend money.

IMO we should be looking after the environment and the super rich have a few negative effects here, they tend to have multiple homes and travel extensively between them by plane plus they have ideas that do not fit in with looking after the planet, like in Bezo's case wanting to colonise Mars, this of course diverts vast sums of money that could otherwise look after the ecosytem we have. We have no say in this. It's not that I think the government should have extra money from the super rich more that the peaks should be levelled a bit, I have no idea how to address this.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, openspaceman said:

That's wealthy but by no means super rich. We need wealthy people to occupy the posh homes, else they end up preserved in aspic by the NT and no use for much, and buy the new cars which then become second-hand and affordable usw.

The super rich have billions and often don't benefit an economy because it goes offshore. Also they can avoid  tax to some, often large, extent.

Our current system is based on the idea everyone can make their own decisions on how to spend and make money. Government takes a massive amount from every person earning money, in income tax ( which major contribution comes from those on PAYE and earning over £40k/annum),  VAT, rates, car tax etc, and this gets spent on running the counry and making politicians above averagely wealthy but the money they spend is largely recirculated within the economy. We have a limited say in how we allow government to spend money.

IMO we should be looking after the environment and the super rich have a few negative effects here, they tend to have multiple homes and travel extensively between them by plane plus they have ideas that do not fit in with looking after the planet, like in Bezo's case wanting to colonise Mars, this of course diverts vast sums of money that could otherwise look after the ecosytem we have. We have no say in this. It's not that I think the government should have extra money from the super rich more that the peaks should be levelled a bit, I have no idea how to address this.

The 10 mil was just a figure I used for myself, hell, if I had less than half that I wouldn't care if I had to get slapped with more tax. I totally agree that we do need the super rich, their money drives industry and technology forward and creates jobs. No super rich no yacht builders, private jets expensive dyson products etc. :)

If they are saying tax us to help out then why not. 

Just now, Mesterh said:

If they are saying tax us to help out then why not. 

I'll never understand that line of reasoning from them. There has to be an angle I'm not seeing. If these eighty odd millionaires wanna pay more tax then why not contact the IR and ask for that to happen. Or why not donate it to genuinely worthwhile causes and ensure the extra money ends up in the hands that need it and not syphoned off to fund the likes of HS2? 

1 hour ago, Mesterh said:

I guess they are trying to drum up more of the rich to follow suit. There are a lot of good people out there that have money and do share their wealth, they aren't always looking for an angle. 

Well they're hardly trying to drum up the rich to follow suit. They're trying to force the Governments to make them. Thats a big difference. The people in the link seem to have more money than they could possibly ever spend in a lifetime and potentially untold millions squirreled away.

If I could be arsed It would be a good exercise to see how many of these supposed altruistic benefactors in waiting are in the Panama Papers. 

Its all well and good the obscenely wealthy asking to pay more tax whilst they sycophantly flatter themselves and will never see even a slither of the removal. But I still think there is an angle. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Mesterh said:

No super rich no yacht builders, private jets expensive dyson products etc. :)

Actually I think you miss my point, though no matter it was only idle musings.

Plenty of rich people have private jets, yachts etc. as a result of having successful companies as well as riches gotten by nefarious means. These people will likely pollute more but don't have the clout to skew whole economies like the likes of the super rich with 10s of billions of $.

• Like 1