Wood burner install / ideas

Ontario has the most freshwater lakes, rivers and streams in the world...we have 3 Great Lakes, endless cottage country within 30 min to 3 hours, less habited regions beyond and remote wilderness for fly-in charters in the more barren far north spotted with lakes. Generally we have mainly pike (gators), its silver cousin the monstrous musky (barracuda I call them), walleye/ pickerel, smallmouth and largemouth bass, yellow perch in the lakes, lake trout in the deeper lakes. There's rainbow and brook trout in a small percentage of lakes and we've had imported brown trout in the Great Lakes and Pacific salmon and steelhead (same as rainbow trout) stocked since the 50s from out west. They spawn in the rivers here, there are numerous rivers along the Great Lakes shorelines, some even here in Toronto. Locally, there's at least 8 rivers and creeks to fish in Golden Horseshoe area (Toronto to Niagara Falls, as well as another half a dozen more in the smaller cities and towns east of Toronto, all within an hour drive. I go half hour east of Toronto for numbers and steelhead preferable over salmon, but I can get salmon 5 minutes from home beside a major north-south highway leading to downtown!

I go for the fight so I go for the steelhead/ rainbows in therivers and for smallmouth bass. I used to have 10 jumbo smallie days but apparently somebody at the lake died and they held a tournament in honour of him with a fish fry after the tourney and fishing hasnt been as good, but sizeable catches still. I go for pike at a lake with big ones, even downtown has some but Id like to go for their cousin the muskie but they require a lot of determination, especially with the busy shallow lakes that are an hour or two from Toronto.

M9wmGm7CXYYJIOfOJd1t0mtPMYky32RA0hZqKvb6E27SJ4BcZyXcggpu94GN6PpJPmtk5pTfI0le8GuM9HDbs1cLFT4fAxhIoTkPRNP9-f8o57XgRxO3Hg_ymlxS0-yRMesc0Y-PYSGSyMor9oOaOrHgOZKmc7Hqf30kbhKfDm6-un8RcRnYXGWKggwfF9sPXRMwZNDxzZH012NCGOQ882kvUQKaIAae1sx15WnAfT8PfqeDetuz5rrYledBychVdyMaIGJnfaVhkAQYdUO6O96yLCb-PtMv3TT1tBBMCckf53HsO6RkuQjjKY5MQr2oXjj9ciIJuvpqtL7iSXZAZBiTBfrFd5o5KY4KfVNcqHRaMJC3vDOqkMV43cD9vqw9V6VRduO-E-5Z5fXV4vGx2eVdQFbvTXEHRMJve5wyWwuzKQXG-mFe55_5lHy4gmPNaHpSz9NhryBlFF26UnC4LZ_l5f5R-Xz8XVhmMg04-TgQoCnWvok-FCyVr4MZKs_UH6pptcZjb1VFWz2iNXkapWDRV0Ec_RKDBdPcRWgnEjUM0vKYpdwTka2Lm7ZINlADKTaJDjoZUNesIMkHkK1VDdpK2YDaP6FV3swChj4KW7bfLSGAy6UsB3w8ab7kebI84QUgA7v24Tq8rDZIHrez7kD5axRYcw25ExRf5cwP5XVbk03BymRJyCKAFglHlg=w683-h910-no?authuser=0

aYMb9BzLyGJD8ENK1433Ko-wXc6_FuiDYozrH_dOINFqVgkgICPY5biLQ4X-zCch9b8G4WRw9YnkaBfSpa6teW2bAr8rOD3HFHeOyTWGr7v9jMiM_VZWUEzToZksTjGQc1sZQel3hyvm9b8cbOefmNR984msrqwsK93_5LrKT-eTkZ9-I3ON8rL1EuAJ7U1HtCnibNoMA72FeAu2x-f3cLwCS5Au8ybhD8j8CxcHMTXyc0zpUQ1Agl4lVYsMmU1ahCm6K5DKPk0C7oPsvlJVa_wlLipq4LG503tjpmISc-_CWhiFCtah3RhfrAAJN_eZ2RUt09zyYWdd6VnsEPLcYADy7nu_wX_918Mk5qKR6PsQQzYXngvse0pb4iZ2hmET-E9MFNUs-6hlR7TzKvidfdE1hAqDeLSAYG5_zp_igox8jIJg_KI8Rvco6YOA5nnsORFaL3ZRphjFHEC5b31soeM6FXxN08R-EgeOAhOLA6lDkiJeY1xp-sByoFhcAaCC3hOHUPlSaHZAfQxSPbtD_ycPvy86Fntc6Mnws6MZLZudphA8NoUYtJqxd0rPYY4oCB_bI5hg5TF0nGYPFQ2JEMfbBRBWlmFogeIIor1kHyLqJ9zIzJ4XW851xtJaMXOSzeDKLL_EK1kdeMiup1bnFi4hKjCw0GZ41K1I1HWo04YAssnu5UI6dShfc61TKw=w683-h910-no?authuser=0

wa6Upwmx8ZVCn6QRNMszVsz1wlbVWdgmbIhbM3Gcya9Emlg7keo5wW7E87unyr6zxul_I3xUIyljhv1rYaOMbOlprRRZNwAYk0y__eE_5QoyzZG-5nmygb0rM45gTJrGUM4JmTRu4NgxuVpCGHv1m4Rt3G2_n25bngyHV7pmanezTRZS7VMB7NAEdaDIt0EZ7xkWr7_o2K6vDjioPCLbmA_YRPCxdCnkzklBK5g7kVPIXsd8z2JwMBlv_n3Q0S9dN739L5gGHf1fE5hDOuhT8jVpQcQrURMt8QyBQNeqSm-nOTiicPD674W4hjA2VfrjGTM7n1txDLZQvPR_HT0KlEshSLMSuBAYaa4zC0ZyNzqxK9stiELFqAIQmVBfmSTylRVNHUwfdtQslgJ9KxORz2d5EGmizBTxh65LC7zBh70d_fgsTxfesYP-jt6d7uHsdFZ4VxVuqSedTXdbWPERPMOOlfpg2ZxpOWe3XrVa4dzDDCQho_NqTN0Et-PJLQa7xW3qKEfsdLwQAyJdKwBYpwsLkT4QZG2j4EML7sYITWtrStV9GoQWEoVpnBBOhjX5F_mFJ4nkMniPaL_ZYXBwKqR-iDEbXfFTGev_YYwgVelY2VCtFOVxwSOLAF4u1PFqeSHQV_I_PwZ7Cz97__Ndkq47rldvOyOdosno78v8CYCTrWVCKv-zCNZKdHT9og=w1214-h910-no?authuser=0UwEE70tIA51F5nNnV2QIApMGHa3Sgsulg7GVAZfYsK74GrDlp3CDxrDQIFcDJZlUtlSc-B6tVGQJCPfPe5TSAbetbiVuQyhZHRH0pJG3rME4u2gyA5bv25eEf9ahXzcguCssLi05eIQ5ZpyyZ3-wkwIStG-Dfq3uze5p13bNRSRQWFYjcu33B_o_zoRC4XVf6F1or_fpqlNxtFr-mfSDFKTs0_C9oL1MdxBpqA0XwafcDrm_wThcm6dMbe30CHkzEvrMGLMQoOKRO6_kO03cFktwwXn2z_L-EMhiztYVORCU_7m-ZZai5LM7nfUWMblvsEHveLI2NR556Silx_kl_2SGEedUR6AiNOOx5NpU_af-34H7POTeGTesW2pcWT8GG0TOxRA9938BRY9xRPvR8NvKiIHm-61q2qX9JyONy-YwmAmeevF0ob-mEzqIkW_uquVEswQRRBxgD8ZpnPZEZdF18y5GRRgTlWnJG22N7ozwx2kn0q9Z2AslnvlKIVlM3BpdolHgtFXeSTIhPwzIvPd_WvQb9t-SvhsZKFhLpcGxiIdkqkW5OKNWPHUQLl03ihCqzx3f0Nyg-fEJ4PO8z1C8dJmpxgNRo5iyIDbsfXlcKsvOSYPkwzsxFbJBP8XlHkV4FB6piu3wJQfs_2E33fLe0INGHmBD0nYjmjzUIXGYWlnKJ4XF5h5wm72XUQ=w1214-h910-no?authuser=0

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ad a bit of a shock just now. I'd put my advert on Facebook and one of my customer's liked it. I couldn't place him so tabbed on his name. Then saw this. They'd only just moved in after buying the house whilst staying with the mother in law in the next town. They were woken up early hours with the house on fire, that's their bedroom window on fire. I've just been in touch and the cause was an incorrectly fitted wood burner. It was already in situ when they bought the house. Apparently there wasn't sufficient  insulation fitted. They'd been gutting the house of rotten woodwork and generally trying to get it in good order. Poor buggers, just moved out from London.

20210220_221349.jpg

That’s a lucky escape by the looks of things.  Reading through the comments it seems the woodburner wasn’t fitted correctly which caused the debris inside the chimney to catch fire.  Looks like it caught fire again once the fire service had attended, unreal.  They can be thankful they managed to escape.  I was talking to me old word colleague, he was telling me he fitted a woodburning stove to his house, he just used the gas liner that was there.  Having burned it for about 3 years, it finally blew through the liner.  Lucky he noticed the draw was slowing to his fire and has now condemned it.  

7 hours ago, David West said:

That’s a lucky escape by the looks of things.  Reading through the comments it seems the woodburner wasn’t fitted correctly which caused the debris inside the chimney to catch fire.  Looks like it caught fire again once the fire service had attended, unreal.  They can be thankful they managed to escape.  I was talking to me old word colleague, he was telling me he fitted a woodburning stove to his house, he just used the gas liner that was there.  Having burned it for about 3 years, it finally blew through the liner.  Lucky he noticed the draw was slowing to his fire and has now condemned it.  

You're supposed to have the chimney swept every year, by a professional,  and have the bill to hand in case of this happening for the insurance. Also before you hand over the house, when it's sold,  the chimney should be cleaned. I was working there the 13th January and they were still lodging at the mother's house, so they couldn't have been in staying in their place above a few days before this. Very lucky to get out of that.

• Sad 1

On 21/02/2021 at 06:05, David Cropper said:

You're supposed to have the chimney swept every year, by a professional,  and have the bill to hand in case of this happening for the insurance. Also before you hand over the house, when it's sold,  the chimney should be cleaned. I was working there the 13th January and they were still lodging at the mother's house, so they couldn't have been in staying in their place above a few days before this. Very lucky to get out of that.

Was is his stove that caused the fire or was it the neighbours?

On 21/02/2021 at 06:05, David Cropper said:

I sweep my own flue every year . Will I go to prison ?