Wood burner install / ideas

22 minutes ago, David West said:

The issue is, when I use the heater, it takes hours,

When we first imported pellet stoves from america 20 years ago we brought in space heaters which we thought ideal for village halls, scout huts etc. large rooms that only needed heating in the early evenings. My boss installed 4 into The Hub, the loft space of a converted warehouse  which formed an arts project by Euston station and they worked well. They were nominally 3kW but flat out they moved a lot of hot air  with the circulation fan, this fan made them a bit noisy for domestic use. At the time we got pellets for £70/tonne but then the price rose sharply, I kept one in my house for demonstrations but it sits doing nothing in my shed now.

16 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

When we first imported pellet stoves from america 20 years ago we brought in space heaters which we thought ideal for village halls, scout huts etc. large rooms that only needed heating in the early evenings. My boss installed 4 into The Hub, the loft space of a converted warehouse  which formed an arts project by Euston station and they worked well. They were nominally 3kW but flat out they moved a lot of hot air  with the circulation fan, this fan made them a bit noisy for domestic use. At the time we got pellets for £70/tonne but then the price rose sharply, I kept one in my house for demonstrations but it sits doing nothing in my shed now.

The heater I have is very small, like a 300 x 300mm floor fan, 3kw, I could prob get a standing radiator type and heat it quicker.  There’s just something good about knowing you can heat an area with wood, costs nothing, plus I’ve a perfect draft planned for down there, when I’m finished, it’s gonna be great.  

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, David West said:

So doing some more research, I’ve seen folk saying they put a damper of the flue about 500mm from the stove.  Has anyone heard of this / done this?

Damper can be used if there is excessive draw in the flue but wouldn't think it necessary for your particular install .

It allows fire to be shut down beyond its intended low limit leading to dirty glass

Edited by slim reaper
  • Like 1

Your twinwall should protrude downward through the ceiling for a distance equivalent to 3 times the diameter of single wall flue it connects to. If you gain too much heat to the room by using a long single skin it can have a detrimental effect on flue draw, especially if its overall length is less than 4.5 m

• Like 1

2 hours ago, slim reaper said:

Your twinwall should protrude downward through the ceiling for a distance equivalent to 3 times the diameter of single wall flue it connects to. If you gain too much heat to the room by using a long single skin it can have a detrimental effect on flue draw, especially if its overall length is less than 4.5 m

My flue will be 4.5 from the top of the stove, the ceiling height in the room is 2.4, the stove height is about 530mm so I’ll have 1.9m or thereabouts inside, taking away the distance from combustibles going through the ceiling, leaves me with 1.5 ish inside.  Would you just run the twin wall all the way down? It’s no issue either way, what do you think?

1 hour ago, David West said:

My flue will be 4.5 from the top of the stove, the ceiling height in the room is 2.4, the stove height is about 530mm so I’ll have 1.9m or thereabouts inside, taking away the distance from combustibles going through the ceiling, leaves me with 1.5 ish inside.  Would you just run the twin wall all the way down? It’s no issue either way, what do you think?

If your going to have plenty of draw it comes down to How far will the single wall be from the back wall and how you want it to look. Single wall looks better on a small stove and as you say gives out more heat to the room.

The weight of the flue has to be supported or suspended above the stove as you cant use the stove itself but that pod that was linked to which seems a brilliant idea, I think may acts as a support.

Edited by slim reaper
  • Like 1

On 04/02/2021 at 21:23, openspaceman said:

Pellets are the thick end of £300 a ton now,  when I put a pellet boiler in at home they were £120.

A