The Wee Chipper Club

TimberCutterDartmoor

I like the look of that, exactly the same design as my Hyundai but with Honda Gx reliability[emoji108][emoji108]

That was the main reason I bought it.
Seen loads of loncin/B&S/etc go for near new prices... madness.
I just need reliable.
[emoji106]
  • Like 1

Im doing occasional tree work upto 20ft clearance fells, thats rough isnt it [emoji4]

Also at the moment clearing fence line of trees tonre fence, so need a quick turn around.

If i go down the trailed chipper root i would be chipping into a tipping trailer So would need a second tow vehicle. Unless i arrange to chip into a customers garden.

Or your thread on wee chippers
so presumably i could load it up a ramp and into a pickup and still tow my chip trailer.

For me A wee chipper would need to chip 4" and have at least 25hp engine. With raised chip shoot.

Or

Would a Budget of £1500 get me a half decent towed chipper. And i change my double cab pickup for a tranny. Or get labourer to tow it with there vehicle.

Ive used the bigger machines before.

Just want to know if its worth it or is it better to put money into the towed version.

8 minutes ago, woodwoozles said:

For me A wee chipper would need to chip 4" and have at least 25hp engine. With raised chip shoot.

To answer just one of those numerous points:  you won't manually push/pull such a machine up ramps onto a pickup on your own.  My Jo Beau M300 weighs ~140kg and I manage fine pulling it with a rope.  I couldn't manage an 18hp Greenmech CS100 @190kg.

But a chipper with a 25hp engine isn't 'wee'.  I wish it was; I'd be home for lunch every time!

• Like 2

we bumped mine up a set of stairs today and saved an easy 100 yard drag, i was cheaper today than 4 years ago and made more for myself, the customer used to buy chip off me and was delighted with chip and logs left. Gloria is going on the tracked barrow next week to access a steep garden via ramps up a 1m wall at the top of a driveway that only a 4x4 could manage with a run at it lol. micro all the way
Whoose Gloria?

Gloria was the love of Stevie's life for a while some years back - an on/off kind of relationship: one minute she could do no wrong, the next she was gone only to be back months later.  I think it was a classic case of couldn't live with her, couldn't live without her.  I hope things worked themselves out in the end.

Gloria was a Greenmech CS100 ?

• Haha 1

Gloria was the love of Stevie's life for a while some years back - an on/off kind of relationship: one minute she could do no wrong, the next she was gone only to be back months later.  I think it was a classic case of couldn't live with her, couldn't live without her.  I hope things worked themselves out in the end.

Gloria was a Greenmech CS100 ?
Yeah he sold her one last time.

Im doing occasional tree work upto 20ft clearance fells, thats rough isnt it [emoji4]

Also at the moment clearing fence line of trees tonre fence, so need a quick turn around.

If i go down the trailed chipper root i would be chipping into a tipping trailer So would need a second tow vehicle. Unless i arrange to chip into a customers garden.

Or your thread on wee chippers

so presumably i could load it up a ramp and into a pickup and still tow my chip trailer.

Or

Would a Budget of £1500 get me a half decent towed chipper. And i change my double cab pickup for a tranny. Or get labourer to tow it with there vehicle.

Ive used the bigger machines before.

Just want to know if its worth it or is it better to put money into the towed version.

A JoBeau M500 has 24hp and 5" chipping capacity, and will drive itself up the ramps into your pickup. Sounds perfect, only snag is if you can find one secondhand it won't be £1500, probably double or treble. New they are over £10k I think, I bought mine secondhand.

In reality even though capacity is 5" I don't chip a lot which is even 4" with mine, it's too slow and too labour intensive because as the operator you are the stress control on the engine. Up to 3" or 3.5" depending on species you can just chuck it in and the chipper will self feed while you pick the next bit.

If you are serious about chipping a lot of 4" then you need a roller fed machine like a TW230 which will munch that happily all day. If I have a job with a lot of that to chip like a big conifer wreck or big tree then I hire in.

I don't think you can get more than a basket case road tow for £1500 though. The problem I see with cheap road tow chippers is the there is enormous potential for expensive maintenance, hydraulic motors, valves, electrics etc etc.

A wee chipper is an engine, belts, drum bearings, blades and anvil. If the engines ok you can refurbish the whole thing for a few hundred quid yourself. So a £1500 budget is more realistic, some of the cheaper ones can even be had new for that.

I think you've got to decide how much use it'll get and how to make it pay, for me the wee chipper is a great solution. If you need the capacity then put £1500 deposit and get a bounce back loan to buy a decent road tow.

A JoBeau M500 has 24hp and 5" chipping capacity, and will drive itself up the ramps into your pickup. Sounds perfect, only snag is if you can find one secondhand it won't be £1500, probably double or treble. New they are over £10k I think, I bought mine secondhand. 
In reality even though capacity is 5" I don't chip a lot which is even 4" with mine, it's too slow and too labour intensive because as the operator you are the stress control on the engine. Up to 3" or 3.5" depending on species you can just chuck it in and the chipper will self feed while you pick the next bit.

If you are serious about chipping a lot of 4" then you need a roller fed machine like a TW230 which will munch that happily all day. If I have a job with a lot of that to chip like a big conifer wreck or big tree then I hire in.

I don't think you can get more than a basket case road tow for £1500 though. The problem I see with cheap road tow chippers is the there is enormous potential for expensive maintenance, hydraulic motors, valves, electrics etc etc.

A wee chipper is an engine, belts, drum bearings, blades and anvil. If the engines ok you can refurbish the whole thing for a few hundred quid yourself. So a £1500 budget is more realistic, some of the cheaper ones can even be had new for that.

I think you've got to decide how much use it'll get and how to make it pay, for me the wee chipper is a great solution. If you need the capacity then put £1500 deposit and get a bounce back loan to buy a decent road tow.

Cheers