The Wee Chipper Club

TimberCutterDartmoor

13 hours ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Might as well just chuck the leaves on the ground. 

It's bloody hard to please some people! I was purposefully testing it out on hedge trimmings which no chipper throws as as far as wood but it would have been fine throwing It in the back of the truck, there was also a fair wind blowing it back towards the machine.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Does a Woodland Mills WC68 or a MDL Powerup TH100 count as a "Wee chipper"? 

Has anyone tried these (or the Woodland Mills WC46 or WC88)?  Keen to hear any real-world experience with both the after-sales support (in the UK) as well as the design and reliability of these...

Plan is to turn brash under about 3" diameter into mulch mainly, using a 25hp compact tractor.  The option to create chip suitable for biomass boilers with the TH100 does appeal but realistically probably won't need this...

• 2 months later...

I have used a woodland Mills wc 88.

It's OK. Slow and steady. Well suited for an estate wanting to chip the odd tree and shrubs etc.

I'm sure if you ran it on a 100+hp engine it would be good.

I've used it on a 48hp engine and it's very useable

42 minutes ago, Ledburyjosh said:

I have used a woodland Mills wc 88.

It's OK. Slow and steady. Well suited for an estate wanting to chip the odd tree and shrubs etc.

I'm sure if you ran it on a 100+hp engine it would be good.

I've used it on a 48hp engine and it's very useable

Run it in 1000rpm if you have a tractor with that. Much faster. 

49 minutes ago, PeteB said:

If you run anything in 1000 speed, it still has to run at the same speed to ge efficient but the engine rpm will be a lot less.

Not in this case. The flywheel goes faster, the wood goes through faster. Which is more efficient.

I have the same chipper, the Rock Machinery version. They are not geared up from 540 rpm to a sensible flywheel speed- so they can be run anywhere up to 1000rpm. 

The sticker even says 540/1000rpm. 540rpm is decidedly lacklustre. 

I confess that I've never seen one going. But they must be monumentally slow at 540 if they okay in 1000! What is the infeed speed like in 1000? When a customer of mine tried this (inadvertently) with a CM220, he had to throttle back the rollers or it was too fast and got dust out of the infeed plus boiled the oil!!

My own CM202 was on a 125hp Unimog and I ran that at 1000 speed to reduce fuel consumption, noise and wear and was ace!

9 hours ago, PeteB said:

I confess that I've never seen one going. But they must be monumentally slow at 540 if they okay in 1000! What is the infeed speed like in 1000? When a customer of mine tried this (inadvertently) with a CM220, he had to throttle back the rollers or it was too fast and got dust out of the infeed plus boiled the oil!!

My own CM202 was on a 125hp Unimog and I ran that at 1000 speed to reduce fuel consumption, noise and wear and was ace!

The infeed is variable speed via a hydraulic bleed off valve, so most of the oil is just circulating under no pressure. 

It’s a basic design but I’d say value for money for the average small private estate or large garden. 

I was a touch disappointed with mine on my Kubota, and then I tried it on the Iseki in 1000 and it behaved like I wanted it to. 

Edited by doobin
  • Like 1