The Wee Chipper Club

TimberCutterDartmoor

I’ve just been out today and given my cs100 it’s first run out. Absolutely chuffed to bits with it . Was able to get it in the van which was a great help no dragging trailer about. Had a hour clock put on and was amazed to see how much it went through it in the time. So pleased no more dragging and filling up the trailer and having to pay to get rid of it. Just send it over the beds and client happy there getting there beds mulched.going to look for more chipping work and my lads are happy bunny’s as don’t have to graft as hard. Everyone a winner.

• Like 4

Thinking of selling my very very clean TW13/75 as just not getting the work to warrant keeping it. Brought new from my local dealer in 2010 all paper work tools to change blades that i think i have four of that have only been sharpened twice. I put the original wheels on the front and replaced them with the ones pictured to make moving easy. As a lot of you know these chippers are very well made but the biggest downfall well i think it is  is the daft design of the feed hopper  it's far to high and the throat is to small. It will chip straight limbs but unless you are happy to spend so much time cutting and trimming limbs into pea sticks that's fine. So here is the good bit after coming up with some plans and a design i had a local company make me a new feed hopper. They reduced the height and opened up the opening but still thinking of the safety side they didn't go to low just over a meter at lowest point and fitted the handles to stop reaching in. Had it powder coated to make last longer. By having these slight adjustments made it transformed the machine. Less height to lift up to machine less trimming time = less fatigue. Don't get me wrong it will still not beat the larger machines with feed rollers  and yes as with all machines you still need to spend that extra cutting time but for a micro machine that i think is now one of the best gravity feed machines around it does a dam good job. I just wished that TimberWolf listened more to the customers who are using the machines. I think that they are missing out on the popular demand for the micro chipper.

Right to cap things off. Here we have my  clean 2010 one owner from new lightly used TW13/75 four blades three that need a sharpen,tools to change blades,manual, upgraded and the original feed hopper,upgraded wheels. Always cleaned after use and kept in the dry. This will be going up on the sales page soon. Can be sold with just the original hopper as i have someone who want's to buy the upgraded hopper for £400 cost me £750 but would like to keep together. Right that's me done for now sorry for going on a bit.      

tw chip.jpg

tw chip 4.jpg

tw chip2.jpg

tw chip3.jpg

Edited by 54gka

I am thinking of getting a small chipper at the end of this year. I have a question to you wee chipper owners. Do you find it frustrating/ fiddly feeding a machine with a small hopper? I was also wondering if some people could leave the name of there chipper and the size of the hopper? Much appreciated

Hello,

Previously, with my CS100, aside from locking it through the axle, I often removed the chute and drive belt cover and hid themor took them away with me.

I have also removed the wheels too and left the axles on blocks of oak when leaving on site or even left loaded in my trailer.

If in the event of the machine being lifted, it might be tracked down by the new owner ordering parts.

It also might just put any potential thief right off if they realise it isn't a complete machine.

Ty

• Like 1

Hi,

We've been delighted with our 'previously enjoyed' CS100 that we had from Jason at Orange Plant. It is an ideal 'wee chipper' machine for a conservation project that can't justify a larger machine. The 18hp variant made a huge difference compared to the 16hp one we trialled originally. And the electric start is fantastic :-)

We have encountered a minor problem: Mice eat the prefilter on the air filter!!! The last time we came to use the machine, we noticed some little bits of blue foam around the engine, with more getting blown out as we started the machine. Taking a look, the prefilter was no more to be seen. Completely gone, with no trace. It seems our mice are quite thorough when they decide to pinch some bedding material!

We've got some replacement prefilters but I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for how we can avoid the same thing happening again, other than keeping them in a steel cupboard and only fitting one when we're about to use the machine ...and also remembering to take it off when we've finished.

...Or are the prefilters not really required in a typical woodland setting??? Replacing the main filter a bit more frequently may be a small price to pay on such a brilliant piece of kit!

Thanks in advance for any ideas,

Steve.

41 minutes ago, Pragma said:

Hi,

We've been delighted with our 'previously enjoyed' CS100 that we had from Jason at Orange Plant. It is an ideal 'wee chipper' machine for a conservation project that can't justify a larger machine. The 18hp variant made a huge difference compared to the 16hp one we trialled originally. And the electric start is fantastic :-)

We have encountered a minor problem: Mice eat the prefilter on the air filter!!! The last time we came to use the machine, we noticed some little bits of blue foam around the engine, with more getting blown out as we started the machine. Taking a look, the prefilter was no more to be seen. Completely gone, with no trace. It seems our mice are quite thorough when they decide to pinch some bedding material!

We've got some replacement prefilters but I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for how we can avoid the same thing happening again, other than keeping them in a steel cupboard and only fitting one when we're about to use the machine ...and also remembering to take it off when we've finished.

...Or are the prefilters not really required in a typical woodland setting??? Replacing the main filter a bit more frequently may be a small price to pay on such a brilliant piece of kit!

Thanks in advance for any ideas,

Steve.

I'd get some poison or traps down, only a matter of time before they gnaw through a belt or lectrics

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Shaunpaul said:

I'd get some poison or traps down, only a matter of time before they gnaw through a belt or lectrics

Yep, we've got traps, and been there, done that regarding them eating through wiring. Rats eat the mice, but then the rats have destroyed a brand new pair of wellies in the past - they must like chewing the rubber! Rats are smart, too, so difficult to catch in traps. The best deterrent for rats is to have stoats, as they eat the rats! We still have a turnover of rodents and I'm assuming it's the mice that have eaten the airfilter!

The proper air filter (as distinct from the prefilter) on the CS100 is covered in steel mesh so that is pretty immune to little teeth. If we don't really need to use a prefilter then that would be an ideal solution. E.g. with wiring, we replaced that with armoured cable and that stopped the mice ...until they found the chipper! ;-)

2 minutes ago, Pragma said:

Yep, we've got traps, and been there, done that regarding them eating through wiring. Rats eat the mice, but then the rats have destroyed a brand new pair of wellies in the past - they must like chewing the rubber! Rats are smart, too, so difficult to catch in traps. The best deterrent for rats is to have stoats, as they eat the rats! We still have a turnover of rodents and I'm assuming it's the mice that have eaten the airfilter!

The proper air filter (as distinct from the prefilter) on the CS100 is covered in steel mesh so that is pretty immune to little teeth. If we don't really need to use a prefilter then that would be an ideal solution. E.g. with wiring, we replaced that with armoured cable and that stopped the mice ...until they found the chipper! ;-)

Ha ha, I mean the wiring on the chipper

1 minute ago, Shaunpaul said:

Ha ha, I mean the wiring on the chipper

Yeah, it's probably only a matter of time before they go for that! The wiring they've had before was in an enclosed space where they built a nest. Hopefully, the wiring on the chipper is less appealing as it's more exposed. Probably still only a matter of time.

Wonder if Greenmech should produce a "rodent-hardened" version of the machine ;-)