The Wee Chipper Club

TimberCutterDartmoor

Anyone got a joe beau m500? i'm curious about how capable the hydrostatic drive is (steep hills and general off road) obviously i'm not trying to compare it to a tracked machine but it seems its a fair weight if you gotta muscle it about if its stuck. I've also been told it'll take 5" capacity all day and the occasional 6" piece if required, and finally how does it stack up compared to a 18hp cs100? hope you guys can help!

Anyone got a joe beau m500? i'm curious about how capable the hydrostatic drive is (steep hills and general off road) obviously i'm not trying to compare it to a tracked machine but it seems its a fair weight if you gotta muscle it about if its stuck. I've also been told it'll take 5" capacity all day and the occasional 6" piece if required, and finally how does it stack up compared to a 18hp cs100? hope you guys can help!

I've sold a few of these and can put you in touch if needs be, the drive is powerful and would easily drag you behind it, they can also be free wheeled. 24hp Honda engine.

I have had a 500 for about a year now. Drive is very handy but I have learnt not to challenge it off road to much. You can get it about but its not going to like bumps and slopes. Pretty top heavy and I have nearly had it over a few times on what I thought would be OK. I have taken it down a few wet slopes at the end of the winter, It made it back up but there were two of us pushing it, not a mega challenge but its not a go any where machine that's for sure. Mine is pretty old and I dont tend to put over 5" through it. I may try with a bit of lime or pop ect but not all day. Hope that helps, if you want to talk pop me a pm and I will send you my number.

Cheers for the replies. Honestly I'm unlikely to put anything around the 5 inch mark through it, anything much above 3 I keep for fire wood and doubt I'll be challenging the self drive offroad much but I just like to know it's there if I need. I had a look at a m500 at the arb show and gotta say it's a fine machine and well built. As I said my other interest is the cs100 the price is very appealing by comparison and considerably lighter by some 100kg again solid built and also a good reputation. I guess the question for me is how much better is the m500 over the greenmech and is it 3.5k better at that.

Cheers for the replies. Honestly I'm unlikely to put anything around the 5 inch mark through it, anything much above 3 I keep for fire wood and doubt I'll be challenging the self drive offroad much but I just like to know it's there if I need. I had a look at a m500 at the arb show and gotta say it's a fine machine and well built. As I said my other interest is the cs100 the price is very appealing by comparison and considerably lighter by some 100kg again solid built and also a good reputation. I guess the question for me is how much better is the m500 over the greenmech and is it 3.5k better at that.

I have an m500 and it's a brilliant machine. Did a job today at the bottom of a circa 150m garden that is not accessible for anything else due to the narrow access and as you were asking yesterday I thought I would get a video so will post the link here over the weekend for you and anyone else that wants to see it in action. With regards to its capacity, I've been chipping poplar, sycamore and conifer up to a good 5" with mine today with out any issues, you just have to keep on top of the bugger bits and pull it out a little if it dies too much but it'll certainly take it. It will chip clean timber but it much prefers some greenery in amongst it.

I have an m500 and it's a brilliant machine. Did a job today at the bottom of a circa 150m garden that is not accessible for anything else due to the narrow access and as you were asking yesterday I thought I would get a video so will post the link here over the weekend for you and anyone else that wants to see it in action. With regards to its capacity, I've been chipping poplar, sycamore and conifer up to a good 5" with mine today with out any issues, you just have to keep on top of the bugger bits and pull it out a little if it dies too much but it'll certainly take it. It will chip clean timber but it much prefers some greenery in amongst it.

If you could post a video of the chipper It would be much appreciated! As I said earlier I was at the arb show last weekend and seen the m500 on the global recycling stand, really nice guys and very helpful. I hadn't even considered the m500 until that point it seems it fits nicely between a wee chipper and a towed chipper.

If you could post a video of the chipper It would be much appreciated! As I said earlier I was at the arb show last weekend and seen the m500 on the global recycling stand, really nice guys and very helpful. I hadn't even considered the m500 until that point it seems it fits nicely between a wee chipper and a towed chipper.

I have around an hour of footage so will get it edited and posted to youtube over the weekend then I'll post the link up here

so maybe comparing a m500 to the cs100 is a bit unfair and realistically I should be comparing to the m400, its probably worth mentioning that currently i'm using at gtm type machine now its not the best build quality but its opened doors for me enough so now I can get a quality machine. I've not eliminated the m500 by any means and at this point I've probably over thought every single aspect you can think of, the one single problem I do get with my current set up is the infeed chute tapers a fair bit so feeding can be a problem on some branches cuz they get stuck, with this in mind the jo beau's do seem to look better with the wide in feed on the other hand though the greenmech seems more maneuverable and with a shorter infeed chute which could overcome said problem. would someone please put me outta my misery!