New Chipper

5 shires

19 minutes ago, josharb87 said:

3,6k for a machine with the features of a 13/75 is bloody expensive IMO. Give the industry a few years and you’ll look back and understand

17k inc vat for that new greenmech is pretty good value. Over here that’d easily be be 22-24k plus 25% vat.

hope it serves you well :) 

Hi josh yep I would say good value and with a fold down chute.be cheaper to ship one over if you ever wanted one🤔

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jose said:

funny ive heard this aswell but my 230 which was one of the first (touch wood) has never had a weld go or anything else like that in over 4 years of hard work. 
Same with the 125 i had before that.

Have i just been lucky? 

Firm i was at has 3 of them. 2 have had their chassis welded, all 3 i welded a new plate in the flywheel housing, i welded up discharge chutes, broken hopper hinges, etc.

Don't get me wrong, i do like them and i do think they're good machines. But they fall apart.

20201022_100213.thumb.jpg.8bdb45d8140348b88a425e4d77d831a3.jpg20201022_095936.thumb.jpg.09b4f60b7b5f9f055f44889602985f13.jpg

2 hours ago, Rich Rule said:

Plenty bash TW 230.  I have used quite a few different ones.  We have heard the stories but never experienced the issues myself.  

I think the problem is that they're built to meet the sub-750kg trailer limit so the knock-on effect being certain things made thinner or lighter. They're a good machine, they perform well and i reckon without that weight limit they'd be the perfect combination of simple yet robust.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Moose McAlpine said:

Firm i was at has 3 of them. 2 have had their chassis welded, all 3 i welded a new plate in the flywheel housing, i welded up discharge chutes, broken hopper hinges, etc.

Don't get me wrong, i do like them and i do think they're good machines. But they fall apart.

20201022_100213.thumb.jpg.8bdb45d8140348b88a425e4d77d831a3.jpg20201022_095936.thumb.jpg.09b4f60b7b5f9f055f44889602985f13.jpg

I think the problem is that they're built to meet the sub-750kg trailer limit so the knock-on effect being certain things made thinner or lighter. They're a good machine, they perform well and i reckon without that weight limit they'd be the perfect combination of simple yet robust.

I just think tree surgeons are either animals or  conscientious, ive fixed these like this next job is to weld the hopper hinges. 

Another chap i know still runs 2series huskies and its not like they haven't been worked he is just carful hes also done is best to understand shigo and the likes 

Edited by mtt.tr
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Scottish Cleaning Service said:

I think they are £4k now but can chip up to 80mm and I can log the rest. It only takes half a dozen jobs to get your money back. It would probably take 20 to 30 jobs to get your money back for the Greenmech, its a no brainer really. fwiw

It’s not about getting your money back, it’s about making more money.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Scottish Cleaning Service said:

I think they are £4k now but can chip up to 80mm and I can log the rest. It only takes half a dozen jobs to get your money back. It would probably take 20 to 30 jobs to get your money back for the Greenmech, its a no brainer really. fwiw

Ok, Hypothetically,

A wee chipper, might earn you an extra £50 a day, you don’t really do much, more garden tidy upper work. chip stays onsite, on the floor I’m guessing

the wee chipper pays for itself in 80 days (Your current price of the 13/75, as ill use the new price of the GM, assuming the 4k is inc VAT?)

The “proper” chipper, you can charge £100 a day for (not including what you could charge for removal of arisings, or plowing through jobs doing more in a day)

The proper chipper pays for itself in 170 days, takes more than twice as long to pay for itself (oh no!)

you keep both machines for 5 years

220 working days a year

Wee chipper earns you 51k over 5 years after its paid for itself

Proper chipper earns you 93K over 5 years after its paid for itself.

I very much doubt the wee chipper would last 5 years hard use, the GM i would hope it does.

The proper chipper should allow your buisness to grow, for most arbs, the chipper is the bottle neck in the day

"its a no brainer really FWIW" 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Scottish Cleaning Service said:

we can all use the same chipper because like planes, taxis and trains they only make money when working

That’s a fine & dandy ‘theory.’

Nothing to argue with - in theory

In practice however, it’ll never pass muster for a multitude of practical reasons - many of which have already been discussed viz-a-viz the impact of hard, shared, non-owner use of hire fleet kit. 

I don’t like anyone else even looking at my chipper and I have panic attacks if anyone I wouldn’t trust with my child walks within 10’ of it with a branch. 

Id rather it stays in the shed that be touched by the careless or hard of thinking. 

post script:

there’s a better way than sharing kit like a chipper. There’s a lad down this way offers ½ day tracked chipper owner operated for £150. 

It’s not a bad idea if the task allows for brash batching. 

Edited by kevinjohnsonmbe
  • Like 7

39 minutes ago, Scottish Cleaning Service said:

I'm only trying to educate you on a person just starting up. 

Thanks . . . . i think :confused1:

Anyone wanting to start a serious business should have a clear buisness plan (even if its just in their head) 

The work they want to do, the customers they want to attract, the niche they want to take advantage of

You're not going to be competetive, or efficient against 99.9% of tree jobs with the 13/75, but perhaps thats your niche?

Then again, that niche of yours, as youve stated, doesnt have a continuious flow of work, perhaps not the best niche after all? 

The wee chipper could be perfect for someone unable to get loans/pay for bigger kit, to get their foot on the first rung of a very long ladder. But i struggle to understand why yourself with your buisness acumen is persistent with starting at the very bottom? 

(im not trying to have a dig, although its difficult to convey via text without sounding so, i see you as new to the industry, yet apparantly a superb buisnessman,  persistently raving about stuff that isnt all that great, perhaps im just trying to educate you?! :confused1: ) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

58 minutes ago, Scottish Cleaning Service said:

That's all right if you have continuous work. My wee chipper is in garage most of the time and I could have hired one but its £100 to hire mine and all the hassle getting it back and forth to a job. I'm only trying to educate you on a person just starting up. I am a constant reader and devoured this forum months ago for experience. When I use my chipper the owner uses the chips as mulch or we put it in the brown bin as I only take away the logs. When I get in toe with a factor then I will be looking for the van and hire a road tow chipper. I have only been going 6 months and take things fairly slowly but I will let you know how I'm progressing. fwiw

Most people on here started with nothing, I know I did.

Rather than ‘educating us’ on starting up you should listen to those who’ve been in similar situations in the past.

Anyway Happy Xmas and all that.

• Like 9