Can I do some extra freelance work for the company I work for?

Sam

I just wondered if anyone knows if this is allowed. My company that I'm on PAYE for offered me extra work as a freelancer instead of as overtime, which seems a bit dodgy and weird to me but the pay's better per hour. I can't find anywhere on the internet where it says this ISN'T ok, so maybe it's fine?

Does anyone know more about employment law than me and can help out please?

M.

No reason why not but you will need insurance/public liability etc. That will be even more expensive as a sole trader than a ltd company. You will also need to be registered for self assessment tax. Make sure the extra he is paying you covers the costs. People hear the connie prices but don't understand the connie costs... 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Boo Who? said:

Why the need for insurance?
As I understood, as a free lance, you are still being employed by the company, so covered by their insurance. If you were subcontracted in to the job then you would need your own insurance... is this not the case?

Yep that’s exactly right. You don’t need insurance 

• Like 7

Seems like a odd set up, I’d be questioning the motives. 

back in the day i worked for a large arb company, if they wanted to get shot of you they would sell the dream of going subby, the extra money, the hoes flocking to you in your new tax deducted pick up etc 

give you a weeks work and “we will call you”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Boo Who? said:

Why the need for insurance?
As I understood, as a free lance, you are still being employed by the company, so covered by their insurance. If you were subcontracted in to the job then you would need your own insurance... is this not the case?

As a freelance SE yr Contracted in, not Employed by, different game again fr Mr HMRC and see CiS fr more bollocks if you fancy  😕  K

• Haha 1