Preferred Bar Length For Bucking

Witterings

4 hours ago, Rough Hewn said:

In Britain we use the term
“Cross cutting”.
Bucking is an American term.

The size of bar correlates to the engine power.
How big are your logs?
emoji106.png

I thought bucking probably was an American term but didn't know what it was called in the UK so cheers for that.

The saw will be a Stihl 261 and think I'm probably going to go with the 16" and if I ever need it can get bigger at a later stage although I think it'll probably cover most of my needs.

Cheers all for your help!!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Khriss said:

@Witterings  16" will do you fine. Cutting from both sides  = 30"  remember the longer the bar the longer to sharpen it. Cut big log into a sharpening pillar (  just over waist height)  near yr stack. Drill holes ito sides fr yr files n spanner. K

If you're cutting alot of 25"+ you need bigger than 16" IMO. You're right it'll do it, but it's 2 cuts compared to 1 cut with a bigger bar. Time and petrol...

OP doesn't say size of wood he is cutting, though. No need to go big if you're doing 12" all day.

My go to is 18" on 52cc - but I've bars from 14" upto 28"

Edited by DCS6800i

1 hour ago, DCS6800i said:

OP doesn't say size of wood he is cutting, though. No need to go big if you're doing 12" all day.

An awful lot has been around 7/8" with some up to around to around 12" maybe 14" but I can see this increasing in size over time but not by too much.

It's why I'm tempted to go with the 16" and then maybe get a 20" later if I find I need it .... certainly if you were regularly cutting 18" it'd make sense to have a 20" from the start but that hasn't been the case so far.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Witterings said:

An awful lot has been around 7/8" with some up to around to around 12" maybe 14" but I can see this increasing in size over time but not by too much.

It's why I'm tempted to go with the 16" and then maybe get a 20" later if I find I need it .... certainly if you were regularly cutting 18" it'd make sense to have a 20" from the start but that hasn't been the case so far.

Thing here is a 50-55cc saw will be grand on the 16" bar... nice weight, good power and good enough on fuel - a good balance.  It'll go upto 18" and still be nice but in my experience it isn't suitable for a 20" bar (my 52cc just wants to grab and kick with the 20" on it and doesn't feel safe... despite that bar and chain working faultless on my 68cc saw - more weight, more power it just keeps the chain in the wood)

Basically if you're already thinking towards running 20"... make sure and buy a saw which will comfortably handle it if/when you do go that big

Other thing - my brother picked up a 2nd hand stihl 036 with a 16"bar for doing his firewood. After using it for a bit decided to get a 20" bar... he ignored me when I told him to just buy 18" and it'll do (almost) everything without feeling the need to change. With hindsight he now wishes he had listened to me! My advice is probably the same to you, just get a saw with 18"  bar and forget about 16" and 20"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paddy1000111 said:

Anyone had a crack with the 16" 261 tuning kit? Basically conversion to 3/8 PS chain? You're meant to get 20% more cutting power? 

Pretty rapid, can be a bit more susceptable to damage, but no chain likes foreign material.

1 hour ago, DCS6800i said:

Thing here is a 50-55cc saw will be grand on the 16" bar... nice weight, good power and good enough on fuel - a good balance.  It'll go upto 18" and still be nice but in my experience it isn't suitable for a 20" bar (my 52cc just wants to grab and kick with the 20" on it and doesn't feel safe... despite that bar and chain working faultless on my 68cc saw - more weight, more power it just keeps the chain in the wood)

Basically if you're already thinking towards running 20"... make sure and buy a saw which will comfortably handle it if/when you do go that big

Other thing - my brother picked up a 2nd hand stihl 036 with a 16"bar for doing his firewood. After using it for a bit decided to get a 20" bar... he ignored me when I told him to just buy 18" and it'll do (almost) everything without feeling the need to change. With hindsight he now wishes he had listened to me! My advice is probably the same to you, just get a saw with 18"  bar and forget about 16" and 20"

My 036 loves the 20” bar, but I’ve played with it abit 😉 it rips.

the point I’d like to make thou, learn how to file a chain, you will get more satisfaction from a sharp chain what ever the bar length. 👍