Is milling hard on saws?

Paddy1000111

So I just went to my dealer and enquired about 881's. I was told in no uncertain terms that it won't pull anything over a 40", milling will kill it, it won't pull a 65" hyperskip and I need to buy an 880... 🤷🏼‍♂️[emoji23]

I’m sure Stihl would be delighted to learn the identity of that dealer.
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, AHPP said:

I’m sure Stihl would be delighted to learn the identity of that dealer.

I'm not that much of an a****** to mess with someone's business like that. Apparently the carbs are limited with 1/4 turn jets and you can't remove the limiters. The only way to make them any good is to port them 🤷🏼‍♂️ He said it's all green and isn't powerful enough to run anything decent 🤦🏼

You can see why going for a drive to pick it up from an interested dealer is more and more interesting for me! 

Edited by Paddy1000111
  • Like 3

Also on a slightly unrelated topic I've put around 10 tanks through my 200t and I fancied messing with the squish. I took the piston off to be greated with this... Vertical lines on the piston, not feelable with a fingernail but they are there. Theres also an area on both sides where the machine marks have been polished off. What's that about?? 

@spudulike that's not right is it? 😂😭

DSC_0232.JPG

DSC_0231.JPG

On 20/12/2020 at 16:20, Paddy1000111 said:

To be fair it does say on their blogs about being suited to milling with the air filters, advertisements where it says it's designed for saw milling, videos (the one with roughs saw in too) that it's for milling and they even say on the product page that can be fitted to a saw frame. There's nothing anywhere about voiding warranty through milling. I doubt stihl will be advertising something for a job that voids it's warranty. 

It surprised me that there was a diagnostics port considering it doesn't have m-tronic. I assume it just logs hours and RPMs to see if you run it too lean or something. They say it's for quick fault resolution but to me it just sounds like quick warranty denial 😂

No you wouldn't, as people would think they were purveyors of shit saws  😆 K

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Khriss said:

At Padddy, polish the skidmarks  off n check exhaust gasket sealing reet. Then tune careful like.  K

I'm just pissed off to be honest. Spark plug doesn't look like it's been lean, if anything it's running on the rich side but I am happy with that. There's a good amount of oil in the crankcase and everything is wet... 

DSC_0233.JPG

Crank case looks dirty? Any what's the intake like is it clean of fine dust?

Personally doesn't look enough to get worried about if it was lean you'll know as it would be melted as opposed polished 

Edited by mtt.tr

1 minute ago, mtt.tr said:

Crank case looks dirty? Any what's the intake like is it clean of fine dust?

That's just little spatters of oil, there's no dust at all. I put some hylomar on the plastic joint on the oem filter as I know the seal isn't perfect on these. The filter mounting plate, intake boot etc are all spotless. I immediately thought it sucked something in but these are more like surface scratches from being in the cylinder than anything else, you can't feel them and you can only see them under the right light. It was more the flat polished areas that confused me... 

2 minutes ago, Paddy1000111 said:

That's just little spatters of oil, there's no dust at all. I put some hylomar on the plastic joint on the oem filter as I know the seal isn't perfect on these. The filter mounting plate, intake boot etc are all spotless. I immediately thought it sucked something in but these are more like surface scratches from being in the cylinder than anything else, you can't feel them and you can only see them under the right light. It was more the flat polished areas that confused me... 

If you cant feel them they must half a tenth i wouldn't stress it.