Chain oil not coming onto the bar ??

Al Slitter

1 hour ago, Moose McAlpine said:

As a friend once said..

"Some people pursue a life quite different, only to find out it's not really what they wanted after all..

And some people are ****************ing hardcore."

(He is the latter, giving up a well-paid plant mechanic job to go home to Texas to start up doing on-site machinery repairs in the oilfield.)

As Sam said, we don't know her. If it's something she wants to do i would only offer her encouragement and good luck. She needs to do and see it for herself, and i'm sure she'll deal with whatever the outcome is.

I gave up an "easy" 50k a year job on the AA to pursue a life as a tree surgeon in France. Covid has put a significant dent in those plans but i'll get there one day. It's better to go and find out for yourself rather than spend the rest of your life wondering what could've been. If it doesn't work out we pick up and move on.

Sam has more interest, enthusiasm and willingness to learn than guys i work with, in their early 20s who are working as tree surgeons, getting trained. She has the drive and determination, best of luck to her. She'll see the industry in time and can make her own judgement on whether it's right for her.

(As much as i enjoy the work and being outdoors, when it rains i want to be a welder, working inside in the dry.)

It is, moreso as i worked as a mechanic for 13 years, the last 3 at the AA doing breakdowns. We could've been towed back to the yard, i could've got my van and trailer, loaded up the work van, taken it home and banged a clutch in it by 5pm. Oh well!

You'll get there, stay positive and determined. Someone will see the potential in you as a tree surgeon and realise the asset you can be. 💪🏻

I have a call out which I must attend, but would like to answer this tomorrow and Thankyou x

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, John Shutler said:

yes i’m a tree surgeon, ive run my own business contracting for the last 13 years  and worked as a subcontract climber and for company’s for 7 years before that so i’m well versed on the industry 

your right, i know nothing of you, what you’ve been through or tolerated in your life. But i do know the tree industry

sex and all the differences between men and women aside, coming into this industry over the age of 30 is hard. if you were a professional footballer, 35 is getting toward the end of your professional career and believe me being a tree surgeon especially a climber is a damn site harder than being a professional footballer with all the support, physical and monetary that comes with that profession 

essentially you’d join the industry as a apprentice, regardless of wether you’ve completed a 4 week multi ticket course or not.  you will cost money for whoever you work for initially and your pay will reflect that. it’ll take 3 years minimum to get upto a commercial speed but more likely 5, at which point you may well be over 40

if you’ve never had a particularly physical job or maintained a good level of fitness outside of your day job then dragging brash, moving timber or climbing round trees all day will be physically demanding. now add the endless rain we seem to get over winter  and something that looks great fun when your sat at a desk looking out the window suddenly isn’t quite how you imagined it would be 

I could go on and on

best of luck 

She was in the army and now works outside on the I.O.W.  so she has the weather bit covered .

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, John Shutler said:

yes i’m a tree surgeon, ive run my own business contracting for the last 13 years  and worked as a subcontract climber and for company’s for 7 years before that so i’m well versed on the industry 

You're just over the water from Sam. Maybe you should let her come do a few days with you so she can see for herself? 😉

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

your right, i know nothing of you, what you’ve been through or tolerated in your life. But i do know the tree industry
 sex and all the differences between men and women aside, coming into this industry over the age of 30 is hard. if you were a professional footballer, 35 is getting toward the end of your professional career and believe me being a tree surgeon especially a climber is a damn site harder than being a professional footballer with all the support, physical and monetary that comes with that profession 

essentially you’d join the industry as a apprentice, regardless of wether you’ve completed a 4 week multi ticket course or not.  you will cost money for whoever you work for initially and your pay will reflect that. it’ll take 3 years minimum to get upto a commercial speed but more likely 5, at which point you may well be over 40

if you’ve never had a particularly physical job or maintained a good level of fitness outside of your day job then dragging brash, moving timber or climbing round trees all day will be physically demanding. now add the endless rain we seem to get over winter  and something that looks great fun when your sat at a desk looking out the window suddenly isn’t quite how you imagined it would be 

I could go on and on

best of luck 

The last 3 paragraphs of this are 100% valid observation.
It’s harsh.
Especially the older you get.
Still wouldn’t do anything else though.
🤪🤪🤪[emoji106]
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Moose McAlpine said:

As a friend once said..

"Some people pursue a life quite different, only to find out it's not really what they wanted after all..

And some people are ****************ing hardcore."

(He is the latter, giving up a well-paid plant mechanic job to go home to Texas to start up doing on-site machinery repairs in the oilfield.)

As Sam said, we don't know her. If it's something she wants to do i would only offer her encouragement and good luck. She needs to do and see it for herself, and i'm sure she'll deal with whatever the outcome is.

I gave up an "easy" 50k a year job on the AA to pursue a life as a tree surgeon in France. Covid has put a significant dent in those plans but i'll get there one day. It's better to go and find out for yourself rather than spend the rest of your life wondering what could've been. If it doesn't work out we pick up and move on.

Sam has more interest, enthusiasm and willingness to learn than guys i work with, in their early 20s who are working as tree surgeons, getting trained. She has the drive and determination, best of luck to her. She'll see the industry in time and can make her own judgement on whether it's right for her.

(As much as i enjoy the work and being outdoors, when it rains i want to be a welder, working inside in the dry.)

It is, moreso as i worked as a mechanic for 13 years, the last 3 at the AA doing breakdowns. We could've been towed back to the yard, i could've got my van and trailer, loaded up the work van, taken it home and banged a clutch in it by 5pm. Oh well!

You'll get there, stay positive and determined. Someone will see the potential in you as a tree surgeon and realise the asset you can be. 💪🏻

I wish everyone thought like you because your positive attitude would make the job easier to bare on the bad days. I have the same mindset as you moose and encourage risk taking because if you fear change then what kind of life is that ! We are only here for a short time and there is so so much out there to experience. I say yes to every opportunity and have no regrets because it’s all valuable lessons and makes life fun. If it’s dangerous, or an unusual path then I’m following it because it makes you feel ALIVE ❤️ If this does not work out for me then at least I gave it my all and trust me I will find a new challenge. I do so hope France works out for you Moose and I LOVE that you gave up a very well paid job to change your path but at least you had a new adventure instead of being stagnant 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻 I’m proud of you and your a shining example of how to live your life x 

I am out in all weather too and I’m not allowed waterproof trousers on because apparently we have to look smart !!! So once it rains I’m soaking all day 😬 I’m used to being cold all through winter and I even got hospitalised once when I was on exercise in the army with frostbite 🥶 nearly lost my toes !!! 

I slept well last night after reading your post Thankyou so much 🙂 self doubt does creep in and it’s so easy to give up and stay where you are to keep everyone happy 😞 basically to settle for an easy boring life because that’s what we are brainwashed to do !!! Just because your feminine you are not seen as strong and worth the same wages 🤦🏻‍♀️ In your own words which I loved 😁 some people are HARDCORE and i am. I am waffling now sorry but I have been tested and pushed my whole life and keep pushing back ! I’m stubborn moose 😂 my worst example was in front of hundreds of people I was asked to do a double dog attack in a special pair of trousers and two sleeves to protect my arms. One of the soldiers I fell out with hid the padding so I would get into trouble because it would have to be canceled and sat grinning. So I asked the others to bandage my arms as best as they could a d put a jumper  on and I only had the first layer of trousers to protect my legs but no padding. I did that f@@king display as he looked on and yes my legs were punctured by both dogs a few times and badly bruised for weeks. But i got an apology and one month of his wages to keep quiet and was treated as an equal after that. 
so basically yes I’m mad lol 😂 but I have a million stories and won’t be silenced 🤪 I hope you have a wonderful day Moose x

• Like 6

28 minutes ago, Rough Hewn said:

The last 3 paragraphs of this are 100% valid observation.
It’s harsh.
Especially the older you get.
Still wouldn’t do anything else though.
🤪🤪🤪emoji106.png

I agree Rough and that’s why I want this as a career 😁 I love working with brave tough men because I’m used to that and respect them. I can hold my own I promise you. I am strong and healthy and make sure i stay that way,   I might be slower but i give 200 percent and learn fast. Even if I can only climb for a wee while then I would be happy with that. Ground crew would be perfect because I like hard work, I just have to find a job lol 😂 Have a lovely wee day Rough Hewn x

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, SamanthaSunny said:

I doubt I could ever please John 😬 but I would definitely try 👍🏻

I have worked with a few like John and also a a lot more not even on his scale (   clueless ****************wits etc)  and many have forgotten their  mistakes or the choices they might have made.  Arb n For are very different from when John and I started an both of us would do things differently IF we knew then what we know now !   Every day is different and how people work will be different cos thats how it is! K

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Khriss said:

I have worked with a few like John and also a a lot more not even on his scale (   clueless ****************wits etc)  and many have forgotten their  mistakes or the choices they might have made.  Arb n For are very different from when John and I started an both of us would do things differently IF we knew then what we know now !   Every day is different and how people work will be different cos thats how it is! K

Today I am covering burials in Newport cemetery all day and it’s on a hill fully exposed to the wind and rain 😬 I’m frozen and soaked through as usual so my thinking is if I was dragging branches about at least I would be warm 😂 I can’t be everybody’s cup of tea lovely Khriss otherwise I would be a mug 😁 what would you do if you could start again and choose a new path ? 

• Like 2