New Topper, which model & petrol or electric?

Gnarlyoak

Loose mufflers....it happens because many people remove them then fail to fit the belleville (domed) washers that should be fitted and tension the screw so it doesn't come loose[emoji6] 

Your last comment made me smile though[emoji23]

The older 200’s and 020 mufflers where especially prone to braking apart or falling off though!! must of cleaned 20 or so broken ones out of the parts bin when I last tried to gather up spares to sell on eBay as every one seems to go mad for them still, by the time stihl had stopped making them I really did have a hatred for that saw and it’s bad carbs and crap anti vibration.

Battery power will take over, it is the natural progression. Automotive is going through exactly the same turmoils at the moment.

The battery kit is quiet, clean, you can use it early morning and at the weekend without pissing people off. It will replace petrol kit and the battery/motor technology will determine the pace it can happen.

The petrol kit of today will be brought out at agricultural fairs and everyone will reminisce about when they used or owned one! You will see them in Bygone Museums with a little plaque giving the history of the demise of the petrol engine.

It will happen and the manufacturers will probably tell you that the saws you are seeing now may well be some of the last petrol saws that will be produced. 

I am just glad I fired up the business when I did as this electrical kit has no soul. You may as well be fixing a hairdryer!!

• Like 3

Just now, adw said:

Your the only bugger I have made smile today Steve, everybody seems to think warranty covers abuse, miss use and lack of service, someone has to face them and say no.

You need to practice your sarcasm a bit more. Unfortunately me abusing customers doesn't put them off, the other guys must be utter shyte for them to still be knocking on the door😂

You know the answer Andrew, a nice warm workshop, bargain hunt at lunch time and work when you like.....at home!!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, MattyF said:

The older 200’s and 020 mufflers where especially prone to braking apart or falling off though!! must of cleaned 20 or so broken ones out of the parts bin when I last tried to gather up spares to sell on eBay as every one seems to go mad for them still, by the time stihl had stopped making them I really did have a hatred for that saw and it’s bad carbs and crap anti vibration.

Glad someone else noticed that, got hellish tendonitis from Stihl top handled, swapped to Husqy 335 an it went away in a week! K

10 hours ago, Gnarlyoak said:

Interesting responses so far. My initial aim was to try and see if it was worth while getting an electric "TOP HANDLED SAW" or "Topper" as some of us climbers like to refer to them as, and which one.

Shame you're not closer or you could have a go with my T540XP, it's a lovely piece of kit. Still worth dropping by a dealer and having a look or getting a demo on one.

Was with one of our climbers today, his 201 repeatedly died out, he'd give it a rev and it'd bog down (as if the chain brake was on) then die. I'll bring my 540 tomorrow and see how he finds that instead.

25 minutes ago, Khriss said:

Glad someone else noticed that, got hellish tendonitis from Stihl top handled, swapped to Husqy 335 an it went away in a week! K

I'll bring you the 540 to try, it's very smooth.

Need to drop the 525 to Spud to have a look at the carb tuning so i can get it back in action. 🤔

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Moose McAlpine said:

Shame you're not closer or you could have a go with my T540XP, it's a lovely piece of kit. Still worth dropping by a dealer and having a look or getting a demo on one.

Most generous of you to offer Moose, but aye that there London village is a bit of schlep to Manchester for Husky topper trials.

Must confess T540XP not really been of much interest due to issues early doors with build quality and plasticky horrible ness of its outer carcass when they first came out. I was primarily toying with a Stihl 201 because someone had said the newer models had a bit more spunk to them than the earlier version, but this thread does appear to be revealing that to not be the case! I have used both the earlier models when they both first came out and was so unimpressed either with the performance; build quality or both that I decided to keep my treasured 200 running for as long as possible!

Have you personally had issues with bits of the husky casing falling apart if you give them so much as a knock or wrong look?

Not a Stihl or Husky camp solo tart, will flirt with any machine that will reliably get the job done day in day out whenever you get them out of the van with as few dramas as possible. My stable of saws top & ground, includes Stihl, Husky & Echo.

Edited by Gnarlyoak

1 hour ago, MattyF said:

Mmm, I still have a few of your old crankcases in my collection -the cranks and a few other parts were of use!

Bad carbs Hmmm, just bad repairers😉

• Like 1

Exactly !! Why any one would want a 90’s designed saw anti vibration as a primary saw to use every day as the money maker is beyond me.. There is a good reason saws changed to spring mounted and not rubber like the 200.. when you can’t sleep because your hands are fecked because of years of abuse from 020’s you won’t be having fond memory’s of nostalgia.
  • Like 1

Mmm, I still have a few of your old crankcases in my collection -the cranks and a few other parts were of use!
Bad carbs Hmmm, just bad repairers[emoji6]

Steve the carbs where shite at the time ... you would be lucky to get one to last a year by which point I had enough of them after owning 20 or more of them. Switched to the last of the 338’s which had more ccs and seemed a better saw , I seem to remember reg Coates having the same thoughts and feelings at the time and I would trust his opinion.
It seems the saws have a big following and I’m guessing that is people who barely use them or have used them heavily , maybe they just cut a few branches off grannies oak tree now and then and sit back and admire how mint the saw is ......if you have 3 groundies and a hungry chipper to feed all day you want a saw that won’t be unreliable or wreck your joints so for me a 540xp which has plenty of power and on spring mounts would be my go to and a 2511 for pruning although the echoes anti vibes are not great .. I don’t think battery saws are just quite there yet,I do fancy the husky as I own the stihl thing and that is to be honest just painful to use in any type of production scenario.
  • Like 2