Rigging rope wrench

Ty Korrigan

Hello, 

I tried a search beforehand but nothing appeared.

Does any-one use one?

I recently ordered the 120kg version with one way pulley from Hevea, a French supplier.

It was actually less than from the U.K (which is rare) and post free.

We found it a pleasure to use, very practical to hand over the rigging control to the climber when working as a two man team but for lighter branches there is too much friction so it was back to Hevea to order the 70kg.

Shame there is no way of turning the friction of the pulley off.

I await my parcel...

Stuart 

Adds a bit of friction at the rigging point but the friction disengages when you pull the rigging line back up the tree so no struggling like when pulling the line back up natural crotches.

I’ve not bothered getting one for the reason mentioned above, too much friction for small pieces and if you get it wrong, you have to go back up to it to change it. You can add friction wherever with a crotch, stub, biner, figure of 8, wrap etc, which is more versatile for different sized pieces and you can quickly slack/grab stuff in the tree if you can see something the groundsman hasn’t or you’re just rigging it yourself. Nice idea and I’d like to think useful if you’ve got big enough pieces or a slick enough wrench but I won’t bother unless I find one very cheap or I fancy making one. Would be delighted to hear from people who use them whether my appraisal is correct or whether they are more useful than I imagine.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, MattyF said:

Also gives you an mechanical advantage pre tensioning Mick , I’ve seen it lift some canny bits in the demo vids , have rigged wrenches up so you can pull people in to trees so can say it works well in trial.

Well,  I’ll take your word for it Matty. 

Well... I try often work with my wife on the ground if climbing.

I have some usefull some control over the lowering so the groundy can pull the material clear of obstacles with greater ease.

The friction it gives is more predictable and smoother than using wraps around a stub.

I'm looking forward to trying out the 70kg version.

Stuart

I guess it all depends.

If you “snub” it as the yanks say, meaning holding the piece on the rope without running It I don’t thing you can beat self lowering with stubs.

Do the wraps (without pinching the line) cut it, stow the saw, let it settle, then take off the wraps till you’ve good control of the piece, lower towards the groundy ensuring they communicate properly about what they want you to do with it ie. “Lower/hold” is a joy to do.

Edited by Mick Dempsey