New saw time

Steve_g

I bet they can't even buy them in at that price, someone cocked up on that sale.

Not sure what they buy them in at. They knock out the 550xp at about £470 on similar size bar. That includes my discount I expect. But anyone shopping regularly there gets a good trade price. Always found them reasonable on price to be fair. (Honey brothers)

11 hours ago, spuddog0507 said:

As quoted in the post above the 241 is a great little saw, i bought 1 a few years back and worked it to death when we was felling infected larch, but they are no longer available, i replaced the 241 with a 261 a couple of years ago and find it a very good saw to use, its light, fast and very nice to use all day, its good on fuel and very quick on the throttle response, i would have no hesitation in buying another one,

241s are still available. They're now M-Tronic though. I almost bought another in Feb and still might pick one up. I prefer Husqvarnas but it's either a 241 or a 440 for me in that bracket and i like the 241 a bit more.

Edited by Moose McAlpine

7 hours ago, Moose McAlpine said:

241s are still available. They're now M-Tronic though. I almost bought another in Feb and still might pick one up. I prefer Husqvarnas but it's either a 241 or a 440 for me in that bracket and i like the 241 a bit more.

Stihl discontinued them about 18 months ago, there will be odd new ones lying around in the odd dealers tho, one i had i think was 2014/15 it was mtronic but all the 241s where as far as u know the 240 was on a addjustable carb, if you know of a 241 grab it they are a really decent little saw,

47 minutes ago, spuddog0507 said:

Stihl discontinued them about 18 months ago, there will be odd new ones lying around in the odd dealers tho, one i had i think was 2014/15 it was mtronic but all the 241s where as far as u know the 240 was on a addjustable carb, if you know of a 241 grab it they are a really decent little saw,

They’re still available. I really liked mine, very ergonomic, but with two  crankshafts on two different saws wearing in no time for no reason I’ve lost faith in them. I’m growing to like the echo cs501sx. It’s a right little ripper, but the ms241 is SO much more ergonomic. The fuel caps, the felling lines, the captive bar nuts and the anti vibe (especially the anti vibe) are all much better on the stihl than the echo. 

the power to weight ratio for both saws is unmatched. Nothing else comes close. 

Edited by doobin

15 minutes ago, The avantgardener said:

Except a Husqvarna 550xp mk2,  which walks all over the pair of them.

It’s more an ms 261 equivalent at 3kw

the ms241 is MS241s 2.3kw and 4.5kg

And the echo 2.57kw and 4.7kg dry

I looked at the 550xp and liked the feel of it, but I didn’t need that much power and certainly didn’t want the extra half kilo over the echo. 

so it’s less ‘walks all over both’ and more ‘horses for courses’ ?

Should have said power to such a low weight. Ms462 must be up there for power to weight ratio? 

Edited by doobin

Because if I need that much power I pick up the 462. I’m jumping in an out of the the digger a hundred times a day, I want a light powerful saw. Yeah, it’s only half a kilo more but got to draw the line somewhere. The other consideration with choosing the other saws is that they can run picco chain, which is a worth a few hundred watts alone of extra power in my experience. 

Horses for courses.