Hi lift jack - which is best quality?

Rob D

Just bought one - had an option to checkout with Amazon which worked well... ie you stayed on their website but it pulled in details and card info from Amazon..

Hi Rob, Hi-lift are a brilliant Jack especially as there is service kits / spare parts available. We have also used the turfing function when stuck off road and the electric winch has failed.

1 hour ago, Dan Maynard said:

Great, let us know how you get on. I have no jack in the Landrover so was going to get one of these as more versatile than a little bottle jack.

Next time I get a flat tyre I'll wish I did get round to it of course, that's life.

Hi lift jacks can be lethal with land rovers, not only the risk of toppling and a smack under the chin if you let go during descent but the way the handbrake works on the transmission. You must have it in gear with the handbrake on if you lift a rear wheel on a series.

It's a risk I took and my current model is a genuine hilift 48. We found the pattern ones rounded off the pins so they would not hold a log up on the Lucas mill. For occasional vehicle use this would not show up but when in use daily...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dan Maynard said:

That one you found seems to be a special Fire / Rescue one.

I think the brand HiLift is the inventor, these are the ones I looked at but never quite got round to buying

WWW.PADDOCKSPARES.COM

Buy Hi-Lift Jacks for working on your Land Rover. We've been selling Hi-Lift jacks for many years. Quality is second to none.

That's what I have had for last 35yrs, still going strong, the original and best, with spares available

• Like 1

I bought 1 of Clarke's from machine mart, complete and utter junk, don't touch with a barge pole.

I use them for lifting posts out, the 1st post I tried it out bent, absolutely f**king useless.

Took it back to machine mart and refused to give me a new 1 as I had abused it. A*rseholes never used machine mart since, which is a shame as they sometimes have some decent cheaper brands in.

Ive worked wi a few boys with old 1s and there brilliant, get some serious abuse 

• Like 1

I would only use genuine Hi-Lift myself, I have several, the oldest of which is perhaps 45 years old and still works perfectly. I'm told that Jackall are also good, but I've never owned or used one. As with all tools, (especially Tirfors) most copies are inferior, some dangerously so.

The Hi_lift "First Responder" is a great tool but absurdly expensive unless you simply must have the extra features, and very few people actually need them. The only real clever bit of the FR is the redesigned foot, and it isn't difficult to make one. I reckon you could make about 100 feet for the price of the jack! 

• Like 1