Hydraulic flow control

Ian C

I have a rotating log grab for our small telehandler, it has a diverter valve to switch from grab to rotate, the problem is the rotate side is far too fast, can I add something in the system to slow that side down without too much hassle ?

You could fit a 'gag' in the circuit? Basically an insert which has a small diameter hole in it that restricts the flow. No good on a high usage circuit as it will heat up the oil, but for a rotator, it might work. Have a google on some of the hydraulic suppliers web pages.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ian C said:

I have a rotating log grab for our small telehandler, it has a diverter valve to switch from grab to rotate, the problem is the rotate side is far too fast, can I add something in the system to slow that side down without too much hassle ?

You need a pair of check valves with a flow limiter (small hole) in parallel. The need is to let the rotator exhaust with no back pressure but limit the flow in from either direction. I suspect you could make them from ordinary inline check valves and a file.

WWW.HOSES.CO.UK

BSPP, Barrel Flow Control, With Check, Threaded Hydraulic Valve [P22125801] - Request Tech Sheet No. 10537 for...

Edited by openspaceman
found a link to a possible valve

8 hours ago, openspaceman said:

You need a pair of check valves with a flow limiter (small hole) in parallel. The need is to let the rotator exhaust with no back pressure but limit the flow in from either direction. I suspect you could make them from ordinary inline check valves and a file.

WWW.HOSES.CO.UK

BSPP, Barrel Flow Control, With Check, Threaded Hydraulic Valve [P22125801] - Request Tech Sheet No. 10537 for...

Thanks, where would these fit then on the hydraulic lines going to the spool block? I take it I would need 2 as well?

1 hour ago, Ian C said:

Thanks, where would these fit then on the hydraulic lines going to the spool block? I take it I would need 2 as well?

I thought you said there was a diverter to the rotator circuit? If so you want them after the diverter else they will slow the other service.

You need to talk to the supplier and tell them what flows and pressure you have and what you want to limit them down to. Also what the hose and fittings are.Yes you need a pair and they must be fitted with the check valve free flow on the outlets. You want the crack off pressure of the check valves to be low, less than 15psi.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

I thought you said there was a diverter to the rotator circuit? If so you want them after the diverter else they will slow the other service.

You need to talk to the supplier and tell them what flows and pressure you have and what you want to limit them down to. Also what the hose and fittings are.Yes you need a pair and they must be fitted with the check valve free flow on the outlets. You want the crack off pressure of the check valves to be low, less than 15psi.

Its so good on here when people can help others with their knowledge .  So much better than all the " you wanker , you racist , you  twatt , my Dads bigger than your Dad shit "   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@Ian C I have downloaded the spec sheet for those valves (https://www.phoenixhydraulics.co.uk/file.php?filename=WebCat-002a006300010010/VRF Barrel Flow Control Valve.pdf)

and they are adjustable so you would only need to match the fittings'

threads and insert them at the diverter.

Edited by openspaceman